Sunday, May 23, 2004

What's a green duckie?

Glad you asked. It's a funny story, actually, and will give you an idea of what I'm like.

So my friend Beth and I are at the mall, at Mervyn's, Christmas shopping (or maybe it was near Saint Patrick's day. I'll ask Beth and update). We're walking through the accessory section and I see a table with a box full of rubber ducks. Now I love rubber ducks and yes, simply because I love to sing the rubber ducky song from Sesame Street. ("Rubber Ducky, you're the one. You make bath time so much fun!" (Side note: Ernie is not my favorite muppet (although I am fond of him). Cookie Monster is. I love his philosophy "See cookie. Eat cookie." And his theme song. "C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.")) So I am looking at the rubber ducks, singing the song in my head, while Beth waits patiently for me.

Then I turn my head. I see another table with another box, filled with creatures with big duckie eyes, except that they are green! I am completely thrilled beyond measure and loudly say "Green Duckies!"

So then Beth, in the tone I imagine she will use on her future children, says slowly "No, Dana, those are frogs." And then we had to leave Mervyn's because she was laughing too hard to continue shopping. In my defense, I am claiming I thought they were decorated for Christmas (Or Saint Patrick's Day. Whatever).

Frogs are now called green duckies. Well, in my world at least.

5 Comments:
At 2:54 PM, Carolinaiiiii said...
Got ya sweetie, I understand you completely after 37 years. You make perfect sense. Sending a picture for your website via email. Can't seem to copy/paste here.Keep up the good work, I have a blog at Carolinaiiiii, now.Take care and God bless, Love, Mom

At 5:13 PM, The Lioness said...
Well, I think it is adorable, I really do. I have a penchant for pigs, cow print and - ever since I passed my Vet Anatomy 2 exam - sheep (with which I am bombarded in the shape of magnets, keyrings etc). And I love the fact that your Mum posts comments on your blog! (Hullo, Mrs. DM's Mum)

At 10:34 PM, Anonymous said...
I really do think that you are now obligated to investiagate the Devil Duckie phenomenon. "Every day when I make my way to get clean/I find a fellow who's red and yellow and mean! / rub-a-dub keen / Devil duckie, when you float/ You turn my tub into a flaming moat..."--Kachina

At 3:14 PM, Firebear said...
Everyone in my office thinks I have lost my mind. That is very funny.

At 2:41 AM, brooksba said...
Dana,I can't believe I never commented on this post. I remember the night clearly. It was Christmas time and the store was packed. I think we were at the Roseville Mervyn's. This story has reached infamy. You are wonderful.