Thursday, May 25, 2006

Degrees of Insanity

Over my vacation, I made the following observation to Beth:

D: You know, I may hug the occasional tree*, I may be reading a book about Death and giggling hysterically over it** but I have never carried around a shrunken head in a baseball cap***. I'm crazy but I'm not shrunken head crazy****.
B: You know what you're getting for your birthday now, don't you?

*One of my latest tree hugging pictures - snapped by Beth in Cananda.



Beth asked me why I hug trees and I tried to give her an explanation but failed miserably. All I can tell you is that when you hug a tree, actually let yourself go and forget about the fact that there might be people around you looking at you like you are the biggest freak in the world, it is the greatest feeling. You slough off all of your concerns and concentrate only on the sun and the smell of the tree bark and the moment becomes not about you and your worries but about you and Nature and all the things that are good in your life. Maybe it is like meditation? I don't know.

**Seriously. You must read this book. It is so great. The name of it is A Dirty Job and it is by Christopher Moore and I have no idea how I went this long without reading anything by him. Think Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy meets Good Omens meets everything else funny in the world. But, keep in mind that I am crazy and my sense of humor is, well, a little weird. Click here for some of the plot details.

***If you have not yet read Beth's post about Shrunken Head Guy, you have no idea what I am talking about. Quick. Go here now.

****I used to say "I'm crazy but I'm not Prozac crazy. I'm Effexor crazy." But shrunken head crazy is even more fun.