Wednesday, December 19, 2007

It made me laugh so I'm posting it

It's been busy at work this month. I have more calls to monitor than last month and I'm also responsible for helping with the updating of our internal web page resource so I'm torn. Monitor calls or update the resource where the reps are getting their information from. I'll learn how to juggle things soon, I hope.


------------------------------------------------

I have a new Co-worker who sits by me. She's a very sweet girl and has been very nice to me (will massage my back when she can tell I'm extra stressed out, has bought me lunch a few times when I was between paychecks and she just happened to be headed over to Subway, has brought in a glazed donut that she picked out especially for me because she knows I love them (and then told me I couldn't have Mountain Dew because I had a donut and I can only have sugar in moderation)) and we're even joking that her unborn child will be Jamie and my grandchild (since I also have decided I want grandchildren without the trouble of having children) because she is young enough to be my daughter. I mentioned that she's very sweet, right? Really, really sweet.

She's driving me insane. She is, in a word, perky. Or peppy. Or, and this is my personal favorite, annoying as all fuck. Oh, wait, that's not one word? Too bad.

On Halloween she came over to my desk and expressed dismay that I had not dressed up.

I, being the cranky bitch that I am, responded with something along the lines that "I don't dress up."*

*When I told Beth, James and Liz this, they responded with a lot of "Hello, do you remember your Queen of the Universe costume?" and "What? You do!" until I had to say "I forgot, okay?" and then they responded with "Well, why didn't you just tell her that" and I finally said "Because I don't like her! She annoys me!"**

**It's not so much that she's annoying as that she is relentless in her cheeriness.

I like to delude myself that I am a upbeat person. I can be upbeat. I can be optimistic. Sometimes I even walk around and sing songs. They are usually random songs and may consist a lot of la's but still...they are songs.

Beth called me a cynic once & I was horribly insulted.

DM: I am not a cynic! I'm an optimist. I'm optimistic! I am!
Beth: Dana, your favorite website is despair.com.

I like to maintain that this is not the point. How can you not like despair.com? It's the best website ever! Some of my favorites - Motivation, Madness, Burnout, Bitterness, Pessimism, Power and Wishes. I own Motivation and Burnout in the attractive Desktopper. I also own the coffee mug that says "This glass is exactly half empty."

Hmm. Maybe I am a cynic.

Anyway, when I was promoted, part of the requirement was that I move to a new desk. This was exciting for me because, hello, new shiny desk! I like moving (I just hate the whole moving process). And, as much as I hate to admit it, moving is one of the things that will get me to clean (or throw a lot of crap into boxes at the last minute).

I found out where I was going to be sitting and liked the location. I'm close to Keem's new desk, right across the aisle from co-worker Jessica (she's the other QA person here) & close to a bunch of cool people.

Guess who is now sitting across the aisle from me on my left? Go ahead. Guess.

Why, yes, that is right. It's co-worker Viviacious (fake name but pretty close to her real name).

When she found out we were going to be row-mates, she was very excited.

V: Yay! And we can talk to each other and braid each other's hair and...
DM: I am going to kill you.

The next day, I was walking down the hall & she grabbed my arm and cuddled up against me.

V: Hi, neighbor! This is so exciting! We can have slumber parties and...
DM: Please stop touching me. I will have to kill you now.
V: Why?
DM: Because...because...um...because you're perky!

She finds this hilarious and starts saying things like this to drive me insane.

Our first day next to each other, she tells me about a dream she had.

V: So you, Alec Baldwin & I are running a race.
DM: I'm assuming I lost.
V: No, we both did. Surprisingly, Alec Baldwin is very fast.

I lost it. She was just so matter-of-fact about it.

Last month, I was complaining to Beth about this new seating arrangement and how she is driving me nuts (Vivacious, not Beth) and what am I going to do?

Beth: I hate to tell you this, Dana, but she sounds like a lot of fun.
DM: She is! But that's not the point!

Co-worker Eric is very amused by this. He wants emails about the struggles. He's expecting ones from her that are all "lalalalalala" and ones from me that are all "make her stop!!! Make her stop!!!"

It's been almost two months now. So far I've let her live. I even let her hug me.

Co-worker V: Lalalalala (I have no idea what she was saying, I was trying to ignore it).
DM: Do you ever shut up?
Keem: Dana! That's mean!
DM: What? I let her hug me. I get to be mean to her for the rest of the day. It's our rule.
Co-worker V: Yep.

You know what the worst part about this is? The fact that she reminds me of me and how I used to drive Former Boss Mike crazy with my random la's. I guess Karma really does get you in the end.


------------------------------------------------

Co-worker Laurie sent this to me today, knowing I'd get a chuckle from it. And I did. So I'm posting it. Which is pretty much what my title says anyway but, hey, I am all about stating the obvious.

The pastor asked if any one in the congregation would like to express praise for answered prayers. A lady stood and walked to the podium. She said, 'I have a praise. Two months ago, my husband, Jim, had a terrible bicycle wreck and his scrotum was completely crushed. The pain was excruciating and the doctors didn't know if they could help him.'

You could hear an audible gasp from the men in the congregation as they imagined the pain that poor Jim experienced. She continued, 'Jim was unable to hold me or the children and every move caused him terrible pain. We prayed as the doctors performed a delicate operation. They
were able to piece together the crushed remnants of Jim's scrotum and wrap wire around it to hold it in place.'

Again, the men in the congregation squirmed uncomfortably as they imagined the horrible surgery performed on Jim.

She continued, 'Now, Jim is out of the hospital and the doctors say with time, his scrotum should recover completely.' All the men sighed with relief.

The pastor rose and tentatively asked if any one else had anything to say.

A man rose and walked to the podium. He said, 'I'm Jim and I want to tell my wife, ONCE AGAIN, the word is STERNUM.'

Hee.