Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 in review

Happy New Year. I am still sick but on the road to recovery, I believe. I no longer feel as though I swallowed glass. More like safety glass (And no, I've never swallowed either but I think safety glass has to be less prickly than actual glass). Plus the swelling in my glands has gone down. They are no longer freakishly swollen. Yay me!

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
Turned 40. Started falling apart (body, not mentally).

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make one. I am for 2008.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth or adopt?
No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Uncle Jerry. A friend of the family, Elaine.

5. What countries did you visit?
There’s this thing you need to have in order to travel. It’s called money. I stayed in Minnesota with the occasional detour to Wisconsin.

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
I’m not sure. I really don’t think I was lacking anything. Except maybe passionate kisses.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Is it sad that I have to look through my blog to figure this out? I’ll get back to this question. Actually, I posted the year in review right below this.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting promoted.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing weight.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Hee. Let’s see. I am diabetic. I have a heel spur. Arthritis in my left knee. Too many literally crappy days to count. And, as I type this, the sore throat from Hell and a fevered brow.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Books. Books are our friends.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Why, Beth and Keem, of course. I adore them both.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
George “I am an idiot” W. Bush.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Probably books. And rent. My apartment is very pretty but expensive.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to the Mustard Museum in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin. And the House on the Rock in Spring Valley, Wisconsin. Taking a road trip to Wisconsin with Beth.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
I’m not sure why but “Oh, oh, oh, Staying Alive” just popped into my head. Could be my body’s way of saying “Cheer up, Dana. You’re not dead! Yet!”

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
Happier
b) thinner or fatter?
Fatter
c) richer or poorer?
Richer!

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Exercising.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Getting sick. I hate being sick. And yes, this is the same answer as last year.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Well, it's after Christmas. Mainly I spent Christmas Eve with Eric, Kari and Josh at Rob and Betty's. Christmas Day I spent at home.

This is the same answer as last year. The only difference is that this year Keem stayed home on Christmas Day as well. That was fun. And I cooked!

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Nope. I discovered that I’d be better off with an android. Less mess emotionally.

22. How many one-night stands?
Hee. Yeah, that would be zero. Sex is not my thing lately (actually, lately isn’t exactly the right word since sex hasn’t been my thing since the 1990’s). I haven’t met anyone I want to shave my legs for. Which is why the android would be a plus.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
HEROES! Lost, How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory.

I’m so sad. Last year The Class was on here and they cancelled it. Bastards. But The Big Bang Theory is hi-larious!

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don’t have the time to bother with hating anyone. That gives them too much importance. I’d rather just forget about them.

25. What was the best book you read?
I discovered Harlan Coben, he’s a fantastic author. I think my favorite by him was probably The Woods. I read so much that it is really hard to say any one book is the best. I tend to go by authors. So I’d say Harlan Coben and Nora Roberts.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Anna Nalick. Thanks for introducing her to me, Beth!

27. What did you want and get?
Books. I really, really like books.

28. What did you want and not get?
A million dollars.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Enchanted

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Went to see The Mikado with Beth, Keem and my Mom. Told my Mom I was 40 and could do what I want. Then I went to the world’s best steakhouse (Manny’s) and had steak. Liz and James met my Mom and my sister and I was told that I turned out pretty good, considering (they meant my mother, not Kari).

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Same as last year. My life is good. I like it. I’m happy. Not even being diabetic is all that annoying. I guess having a cat that actually liked to cuddle with me would be good.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
I continuously expect for Stacy and Clinton from What Not to Wear to jump out at me. I am not what you’d call fashionable.

33. What kept you sane?
Beth. Keem. Effexor and Seraquel
Same as last year. Adding blogging to this.

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
How long to you have? There’s many men that I wouldn’t mind being fashioned into androids. I saw the Italian Job again last night and I’ve been drooling over the War DVD previews so I’m thinking I’ve got to say Jason Statham right now. Martial arts and English? Yummy. Sorry, Rowan Atkinson, you’ve been replaced.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
I try to avoid politics. They depress me. But I’d have to say that I am against pretty much anything that George Bush says.

36. Who did you miss?
Thought of my grandmother a few times. She’s been gone for years but she was such a great woman.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
Betsy. My totally kick-ass niece. I met her at karaoke a couple of weeks ago. I’ve met her before, at my Dad’s funeral and also at various Vittum family events throughout the years but she is 12 (13?) years younger than me so these times do not stick out.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007:
Um, blog more? I seem to have written a lot less than normal.

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“I was tired of January. I was tired of July.” KT Tunstall. I don’t know why. Maybe because these are my least two favorite months.

In January, 2007 I:

Decorated my desk with political paraphenalia (I am very, very liberal)
Tried to write a mystery where the murder weapon is sausage gravy
Wrote an essay about Scooby Doo
Gave into the chicken conspiracy and was photographed with a chicken on my head

In February, 2007 I:


Met the perfect guy - at least until he dissed Captain Kirk

In March, 2007 I:

Turned 40 and told my mom I could do what I want
Turned 40 and my body started falling apart
Cut my hair without benefit of a mirror - yes, I am a dork.

In April, 2007 I:

Sang "Passionate Chickens" at karaoke (a "fun with drunk people" post!)
Decided I was possibly adopted
Was attacked by an egg roll and feared for my life (because of the soy sauce loving bees)
Made love to a microphone (a "fun with drunk people" post!)
Said goodbye to a dear friend
Wrote a love note for James (not to him, for him. The to was Craig)

In May, 2007 I:

Discovered my cat is really, really spoiled
Went to the Mustard Museum! The Mustard Museum!!!

In June, 2007 I:

Had a discussion about Star Trek: TNG that was overheard and a co-worker thought I was possibly a serial killer
Was amused about random, random things
Went to the zoo and took pictures (including a cat that plays Trivial Pursuit)
Got really upset about road signs

In July, 2007 I:

Discovered it is possible to suffer from karaoke rage (a "fun with drunk people" post!)
Sang about Smushy Faced Kittiiiiiieeeeesss (a "fun with insane people (that would be me)" post!

In August, 2007 I:

Wanted to stab someone with a fork and "met" my future boyfriend, the Numa Numa guy
Got hit on!!!! I know! And he was cute!
Had my purse invaded by Apricot Syrup
Discovered yet another thing I'm allergic to

In September, 2007 I:

Posted about a great trip to Wisconsin with Beth
Discovered how very bad I am at Geography
Was hijacked by a crazy woman

In October, 2007 I:

Went to Octoberfest and bought a wife for my piggy bank Pig
Got promoted

In November, 2007 I:

In December, 2007 I: