Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The Future is Now

2008 is here. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It just seems so odd. Back in 1985, when I was graduating from high school, I vaguely remember thinking that we'd have rocket cars by now. There are no rocket cars. But, hey, even if there were, it's not like I could drive one.

Beth and I went to a party James threw. It was...interesting. By interesting I mean that Beth and I stood around and hoped someone would talk to us. It is somewhat disheartening to realize that the "cool kids" you are nervous around are actually a bunch of comic book geeks. I managed to exchange entire sentences with Tony, the coolest of the cool kids, by mentioning the Flash logo on his shirt. I mentioned meeting the perfect guy for me until he dissed Captain Kirk. Tony then started talking about Boston Legal which I have never seen, even though I do love William Shatner. After he wandered off, I turned to Beth.

DM: I talked to Tony.
B: You did. I'm impressed.
DM: At least I didn't tell him I enjoyed William Shatner's singing.
B: Yes. I'm proud of you for that.

We left at about 12:25, after watching Dick Clark count down the New Year. Of all people to share this with, did he have to choose Ryan Seacrest? The man annoys me. I think it's his hair. Or maybe the fact that he's a no-talent smarmy jerk. One or the other.

Beth and I headed back to my place and spent the next two hours playing "Ask the iPod."
Apparently I am going to get drunk sometime in August and have sex with Stubes.* Multiple times. Um, what? I don't think so, iPod! Beth has been informed that I am NOT to be drinking during August through November. Although it could be worse. It could be Scottish Craig.

*Stubes is not that annoying, he's actually a nice guy when he's not trying to be funny but I am not attracted to him at all.

As for my health, well, I'm pretty sure I have strep. I woke up today and my throat hurts more than it has the entire time I've been sick. If I blow my nose, it hurts. If I yawn, it hurts. So, as you can imagine, trying to eat or drink anything has been Super Fun! I'll be going to the Minute Clinic tonight. I'd go see Deb but I really don't feel like spending a $30 co-pay on a throat culture.

Oh, well, off to work. Yay! The excitement never ceases!