Wednesday, February 06, 2008

For once my body has done something that I like

Long story short.

I have been discouraged about diabetes.  Not enough to stop watching what I'm eating or about my levels.  Mainly it's just because I HATE poking my finger every morning and afternoon.  It hurts a lot. 

I am tired and in major pain most of the time but especially early morning and at night.  My joints hurt.  My back hurts.  My fingers hurt.  Because, you know, I'm carrying a lot of extra weight.  Not really good for me but losing weight isn't going to happen overnight.  It takes time.  I know that.  Plus this is a bad time of year for me with all the barometric pressure changes. 

Today I went to the doctor.  I haven't been since September.  You'll remember last month when my mom was making Kari freak out about my being diabetic and oh my God, I'm going to lose a leg and I better make an appointment right away.  So I did make an appointment and Kari went with me.

First came the dreaded weighing.  I watch the numbers flash back and forth and am terrified by what I am going to see.  Finally it stops.  The nurse, Cindy, doesn't say anything.  I have to ask.  Did I lose any weight?

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.  I lost 10 pounds.  All the lettuce and the carrots and the sacrifice has resulted in something good.  I mean, yes, I still have an entire person to lose but it means a lot to have a result like this.

Then there was the dreaded blood drawing.  I hate this.  My veins roll and usually I end up getting jabbed two or three times before they're able to get enough.  Cindy manages to fill a little tube and then gets the finger poking torture device so they can do an immediate test. 

About ten minutes later, I am still sucking on my poor injured finger (still hurts now and let me tell you, that lancet was about 3 times as big as my Accu-Check one) when Deb comes into the room.

We talk, I tell her about everything that's been going on, blah, blah, blah.  And then she tells me.  My A1C (Diana, I'm counting on you to explain what this is.  She told me but I have no clue) has dropped from 10.6 to 7.9.  I'm not exactly sure what this means but apparently it is very good and means that I don't have to go on insulin. Yay!

Next week I get to go and have a pelvic ultrasound and then see an OB-GYN the week after that and also have a diabetic eye exam.  Doesn't that sound like fun?   This is because of the Bloody Hell that I've had for years and Deb said the next time it appeared, we wouldn't do Provera again, she's going to send my to the OB-GYN. 

Deb:  There could be fibroids causing it but we need to look into it.  You are anemic and this might be the source of it.  Worst case scenario, there might need to be a procedure.

DM:  As far as I'm concerned, you can yank the uterus out.  I'm not going to be using it for anything.
Kari:  Yeah, mine too.
DM:  Uh, no.  I am hoping for a niece (I'm not going to get one but I'm hoping.  Josh is going to remain an only child.  Which might be why Kari was looking for books on sharing today).

So things are good.  And you doubted me when I told you I was okay, Mom.  Ha!