Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Work is hell. Unless you work with Christy

Friday, Co-Worker Christy says to me, completely out of the blue "Dana, do you think the term doozie comes from Duesenburg?"

I right away know that she's talking about the car.  I also know that if I don't find this out, it is going to drive me insane all freakin' day.

"I don't know," I reply.  "But I'll find out."

"Good," she tells me.  "And then you should blog about it."

I love many things but words and where we get them from is on top of the list.  I guess the word that I want here is etymology, the study of the words and their history and what language they are derived from.  I love knowing where a word came from.  Is it derived from Latin?  Is it slang?  Where the heck did it come from (one of my favorite Mom gifts was a book about where words came from, including red herring (one of my favorite mystery plots and a phrase I first discovered in Ten Little Indians by Agatha Christie (I might have been 12 when I read it for the first time.  Not sure)))?  Words that are derived from Latin are bonus words for me.  I like Latin.  And no, I have no idea why.  It's pretty?

So Christy's question was answered by a search on www.dictionary.com.  And it is one less thing that puzzles me.

1 result for: doozie
http://m.reference.com/d/search.html?q=doozie
doo·zie /ˈduzi/ [doo-zee] noun, verb, -zied, -zi·ing. Informal.
noun
1.      Also, doo·zer /ˈduzər/ [doo-zer] . something that is extraordinary or outstanding of its kind: The storm was a doozie, with winds of fifty miles an hour.      
Verb phrase
2.      doozie up, to make more attractive or appealing, as by adding features or ornaments, cleaning or repairing, or clothing brightly: You'll have to doozie up the house before you can sell it.   

[Origin: 192530, Americanism; of uncert. orig.; sometimes associated with the Duesenburg, a luxury auto, though the var. dozy precedes the appearance of the car in 1920]

And also, Christy was very amused when she was asking me a question today and the reminder I set up for myself in Outlook popped up. 

"Blog about this and Christy?  What about me?"

I explained I set up a reminder so I wouldn't forget to post this.  And she laughed.  You have to love someone who loves words as much as you do, right? 

In other news, the results of the tests came in and they are negative.  Which tells me lots of things but not the most important.  What the heck is wrong with me?  Tune in next week when I go back to the doctor!  Yay!  On the other hand though, I am glad that the week long bout of something I've affectionately titled "Sciatic nerve, you can knock that off right now!" (and Christy kept asking me how my Sci-Attica was because we said it could be a prison film about a futuristic Attica) appears to now be over. 

Hi.  My name is Dana.  And I am apparently falling apart at the seams.  Fortunately Christy can sew.

Have a great day all.  Oh, any of you remember the Choose Your Own Adventure books?  Well, NPW does and she decided to create a Choose Your Own Blogventure.  Absolutely brilliant, that one.  Check it out

(and pun was not intended, even though she is a librarian (dream job.  Until I discovered it involved less reading and more dealing with people)).