Monday, October 23, 2006

Countdowns

I'm a little panicked. Just a little. But do you realize that November 1st is only 9 days away? Nine. Do you know what that means? No, you probably don't. Well, it means that there is only one month of the year left. One! Where the heck did 2006 go?

November is NaBloWriMo, according to Udge, where Mrs. Kennedy has challenged everyone to write a post each day. You may be, if you've been blogging for awhile, seen the ads for its counterpoints, the novel writing challenge. Well, I'm not up for the novel writing because I have absolutely no discipline, no way of writing descriptions and, most important, no idea what I want to write about. But I think I can manage a post a day. I think it might be fun and maybe even a way to make myself write more which might lead to maybe being able to actually write a novel. Maybe.

November 26th is the day that Keem and I move into our new apartment. I am excited and nervous all at once. Excited because there is no male roommate contradicting how we want to decorate the apartment and it's all new and we can do whatever we want with it (well, other than get another cat or set up a meth lab (not that we wanted to set up a meth lab, of course, but another kitten would have been nice, give Eddy someone to play with and maybe tone down on the constant lectures each day ("Mmmmrow! You've abandoned me! Mmrrrrrrow! I have had nothing to eat all day! Mrrrrrroooooooooooowww! Yes, I have run into the hallway when you least expected it. Why do you insist on calling me Houdini when I do this?). I love the cat but damn, he can be a pain in the neck sometimes)) and that will be exciting! Nervous because, while we've made a lot of progress going through boxes and getting rid of stuff that we won't use (or never used in the 4 plus years we've been in the apartment), time keeps ticking away and I wonder if we'll make it. I'm sure we will but still, it's a bit nerve wracking. However, the chances of me getting heat stroke during this move are going to be almost nil. We're not moving on the 4th of July and we're only moving up one floor and one apartment over. Plus my beloved apartment building has elevators. Yay!

Someone sent out an email last week reminding us that Christmas was only 67 days (at the time of the email). Believe me, that sent me into a tailspin. 67 days? Impossible. At least our move is before Christmas and we don't have to try and shop for family/friends at the same time. That would be insane.

And then, in a little more than 4 months away, is the most horrifying date of all. March 11, 2007. I sent the following email to my boss requesting time off - "Forgot to ask - March 7th-March 12th. Birthday weekend. Turning 40. May commit hari-kari (okay, probably not, that would be silly but there may be alcohol involved in toasting and mourning my lost youth)."

I am going to be 40. Forty! How is this possible? How? I'm sure everything will turn out just fine and I'll accomplish what I need to do but I'm still in a little bit of shock. It seems like only yesterday that I was 5. Oh, wait, that might because that's how I act sometime.

Anyway, hope you all have a great day. I'm done panicking. For now.

Oh, and the recent date I'm counting down to is Beth's birthday on the 26th. But I'm not panicked about that. There will be karaoke on Thursday and Manny's on Friday and scrapbooking on Saturday (and probably Friday and Sunday as well) and karaoke on Sunday and I don't work on Monday so I can actually sleep in! Woo-hoo!