Monday, February 07, 2005

Music Meme

1. Song that sounds like happy feels:

“Walking On Sunshine” by Katrina and the Waves.

2. Earliest [music] memory:
Playing with the bells in Kindergarten. There is a story my dad used to tell about how we had been in the grocery store when I was 2 or 3 and I started singing my ABC’s at the top of my lungs. Apparently I was declared adorable and received candy. But I don’t remember that.

3. Last CD you bought:

In person: “Lucky” by Melissa Etheridge (and a few others)

On iTunes: I am resisting iTunes but I may give in now that I’ve finally heard a song by Aimee Mann. Pavlov’s Bell is great.

4. Reminds you of school:

Grade school: The “Itsy-Bitsy Spider”

Junior High/Middle School: “The Hustle” – Learning to do the dance in 8th and 9th grade.

High school: “Stout-Hearted Men” – It was from a melodrama that the Drama Club put on. I was Miss Hatchet. A man-hating school board member who was trying to prove that Melody Trueheart was wanton.

College: “Gilligan’s Island” – One day, Becky and I sat in the cafeteria and sang tons of different songs. We took requests. It was great.

5. Total music files in your PC:

I have no idea. It’s probably about 15-20 CD’s worth.

6. Song for listening to repeatedly when depressed:

Well, since I’m frequently depressed, I would have to say everything I’ve listened to in the last few months/years. I remember crying while listening to the soundtrack from Love Actually. I think it was during Song Bird but I can’t think of who sings it right now. Although I was listening to Comfortably Numb with Beth the other day and realized that this is how I often feel. Sort of detached from the rest of the world and can’t focus on what other people are doing.

7. Song that sound British, but isn't:

I have no idea. James Marsters singing Spike’s song on the musical for Buffy the Vampire Slayer since he’s not actually English or a vampire even though he played one on TV.

8. Song you love, band you hate:

“Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee” – Bob Dylan. It’s from the Bandits soundtrack.

9. A favorite song from the past that took ages to track down:

I’m still trying to figure out a song that I heard on the automated system one day at work. I thought it was Blackbird but I’m not sure. I think there’s a blackbird in it though.

10. Bought the album for one good song:

I haven’t done but my sister did. She bought that album because of the song about people watching people do stuff. The rest of the album is rap. I think it’s by Ever Ready. Matt knows what it is. The album is Whitey Ford sings the blues. I think.

11. Worst song to get stuck in your head:

“Mairzy Doats” I got that stuck in my head for days. I ended up slapping my head and yelling “Get out of my head! Get out!” right when my boss walked around the corner. Apparently that kind of freaked him out a little.

12. Best song to dump a beer on someone's head to, then storm out of the bar?

If I don’t drink, why would I have a beer?

13. Who should do this next?

Keem. She won’t. But she should.

Beth got this from frog who got this from Quodibets.

Additional questions:

14. Worst love song to sing to a first date?

“Picture” – Kid Rock and Sheryl Crow. Actually, that’s the worst song to sing ever.

15. Which of these three performers is a guilty pleasure? Celine Dion, Phil Collins, or Michael Bolton (come on, they make money from someone!):

Phil Collins. I used to think he was kind of hot.

16. A band you hate that everyone seems to like:

I don’t know. I really don’t pay attention to what other people like. I prefer to pick my own music. Although there is this stupid song that KS95 is playing that really irritates me but I don’t know what it’s called. It’s just so stupid. But people must like it because it’s still getting play.

Previous Comments:

At 1:05 PM, brooksba said...
DM,"I haven’t done but my sister did. She bought that album because of the song about people watching people do stuff. The rest of the album is rap. I think it’s by Ever Ready. Matt knows what it is." - It's Everlast. Remember that Matt got it from, "Remember the video where there were people watching people do things?" Hope your day is going awesome. Be good.Beth
At 6:52 PM, Matt said...
The name of the song is "What It's Like" and yes that was the way that I got the song. I do have one question for you however, since when is one man considered to be a band? Say what you will about his singing style, (cats being pulled through metal bending machines, backwards, slowly) but Bob Dylan is one hell of a talented song writer.It's kinda nice to know that it is Bob Dylan that you cannot stand and not Paul Simon, huh?I will talk to you laterMatt