Sunday, July 24, 2005

A Exercise In Frustration

Today has not been the best day for me. Nothing seriously wrong happened, don't get me wrong, but it just seems that there is a cosmic joker out there who thought it might be fun to mess with me a little.

I still have not yet received my Harry Potter book but a co-worker lent me his. So frustration #1 has been countered, it is just still kind of bothering me that I haven't received the book. It is not flea's fault, she had problems with the publisher, and I know I will soon get it but I want the damn book! Because then it is really mine, you know what I mean? Probably not. A lot of people do not understand my book fixtation and why it isn't enough to just read the books, I have to own them as well.

Keem and I decided to go and see a double feature today. The movies we chose were Fantastic Four and The Wedding Crashers. I'd love to be able to tell you that these were the best movies ever but I can't. Not because I didn't like them but because we didn't get to see them. About 3rd preview in at Fantastic Four, the screen went black and the emergency lights came on. There was a storm this morning and the power decided to go out. After a good 30 minutes of waiting and reading my back-up book (Keem didn't bring her Harry Potter book so the only way I could convince her that we should read while we waited was to let her read the Potter one), the theater management said that it would probably be about another hour or so and we decided to get refund tickets.

After getting home, I decided to read. Here is where frustration #3 comes into play. I finished the book. I'm not going to say what happened, in case someone stumbles across my blog and hasn't finished it yet. I will say this, however. For the first time in my life, I really understand Annie Wilkes' motivation in Stephen King's Misery. I'm not saying I'm going to kidnap JK Rowling and keep her prisoner and chop her foot off but if ever I would want a rewrite of a book in my entire reading career, this would be it. Why? Why? Why? I understand that sometimes characters just take on a life of their own and do what they want and maybe she didn't want the book to end this way but dammit, I am seriously depressed about this. Maybe depressed isn't the right word but I'm not happy about the ending and having to wait however long until she finishes the last book.

Anyway, after finishing the book, I decided to take a nap. Said nap took place from 4 PM to 1 AM. Apparently I was tired.

At least tomorrow is karaoke and I will be able to see Beth and discuss the HP book with Liz. That helps a little. And if the cosmic joker would like to stop messing with my life and give Gil a little nudge to help him realize that I am The Girl, that would help a heck of a lot more!