Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Starry, Starry Night and lots of stuff about music

Mark wrote a post about how one of his "city" friends was in awe over the sky view recently and he used this title as well (well, except for the lots of stuff about music part). Those of you in the know (I just like that phrase. Don't know why) would be aware that this song is called "Vincent" by Don McLean (yesterday I typed Don McClean and then I giggled because maybe that's what Mr. Clean's real name is. And perhaps I was still a little warm and fuzzy from my alcoholic experience). My favorite line in this song has always been "How you suffered for your sanity." I'm not sure what that says about me. I've always liked this song as well and have provided you with the lyrics at the bottom of the post. Because that's the type of Queen of the Universe that I am. Generous and sharing of lyrics with you. Take a moment to bask in my glory. I'll wait.

Anyway, here is the comment (listed below in a refreshing green color so that you can see that it is a comment and not an brand-new post (hey, if Nora Roberts can use the official Nora Roberts seal to show the difference between brand-new books and previously published books, I can use a different color)) that I left on his blog. I have decided to share it with you as well because it was quite funny and a good example of what Keem and I sound like when we are together. Keem would say it is a good example of what she has to put up with but since she chooses not to read my blog or blog herself, we'll just ignore her.

I've always liked this song even though I'm not a big fan of his artwork (Van Gogh, not McClean (crap. I just realized I typed McClean on Mark's blog. Now he's going to think I'm a total dork (well, if he didn't already)).

Tonight, while driving back from bingo with Keem, I looked up and saw a very bright light in the sky.

"Is that a star or a planet?" I ask Keem.

"It's a plane, Dana."

"No, it's not."

"Yes, it is."

"How can you tell?"

"Oh, I don't know. That fact that it's got a small blinking light off to the side?"

Never argue with a logical person. You will lose. Especially if their eyesight is better than yours!

While I was writing this post yesterday, I was remembering back to my high school years, where my friends Kathy and Sue and I would go to the Ground Round to watch this guy named Ken Wanovich sing and play the guitar. He would also perform at Old Mexico or Chi-Chi's or some Mexican restaurant that I think was outside of the Maplewood Mall. Do I remember? Not very well. I'm not even sure I remember how we knew Ken. I think it was because he knew our choir teacher and may have come to sing for our choir one day.

I did a search for Ken on Google and discovered that he may or may not be a music director at a church in White Bear Lake. I also discovered that I could buy his album at eBay for $2.29 (plus $3.00 for shipping and handling) but I can't do that. Why, you ask? Is it because I feel that this pleasant memory from 1984-1985 isn't worth $5.29? No. That's not it. There are three reasons why I'm not going to purchase this album and here they are:

  1. I do not have a record player (which isn't really that big of a deal because I could actually just pop it into an album frame and hey, happy memory from high school).
  2. I do not have a debit card at this time (but one is in the mail to me).
  3. I do not have $5.29 at this time because my account at NABABNA is overdrawn by over $200 because someone decided "Hey, I need to pay my cable and/or digital phone bill. What better way to do that than to use Dana's debit card number. She won't mind." Well, actually, I do mind. I mind a lot. Sacana! I do have a claim filed and I know that I will get the money back eventually but still, it is really annoying to not be able to hop over to eBay and make a purchase that would bring me some joy. Stupid criminals.

I remember there was one time that he was going to be at the Winona Ground Round and we planned a college visit (do people still do these? You get time off of school (like a Friday) and get to drive to the college and take a tour and they put you up in a dorm room?) to the Winona State University but didn't tell him about it. He was very surprised when we walked in the door. Fortunately he did not have us arrested for stalking.

He used to sing "Vincent" and "Run Around Sue (because Sue's name, of course, is Sue)" and "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald (which was my favorite song for him to sing. I love that song. My nickname in high school was Edmund Wayde the 2nd (long story and since I've already lost this post twice, it'll have to wait) and Eddy (my cat) is partially named after this song)" and some song about Robin and Pooh Corner and I can't remember it very well but I kind of liked it.

Knowing Ken and seeing him perform and having him greet us and sing songs because we requested them always gave me this little kind of thrill. He was a celebrity in my mind. It's kind of like what knowing Bryan is like for me. Although I think of Bryan more as a friend now than someone who is semi-famous.

But! Speaking of music and knowing semi-famous people, I wanted to bring this up. Have you seen the television ads for Rock Star: INXS? Have you watched the show? I have. Do you know why? I mean, yeah, it's about music and I like music but I'm not an overly obsessive reality show fan. Have you guessed? Have you? Yes! That's right! I know someone on the show! Beth and I both know Jordis Unga!

When I say "know" I mean that we saw her at the Chalet one night where she sang "Georgia On My Mind" and completely blew away the entire crowd (Also, on Bryan's DVD, there is a video for her band (actually, I'm not sure if they're still together or not), The Fighting Tongs and they are good. You can see the video at Bryan's site) and then Matt had to sing after her and he was not pleased and called Bryan a bad name and we all laughed. So it's not like I really know her or anything but the connection is enough to make me watch the show when I normally would not.

And you know what? I'm glad I am watching the show. It is different from American Idol (thank you, God) and I've been impressed with the two episodes I've seen so far. I love rock music. And this is definitely rock and roll. No pop, just good classic rock being pumped out into the air and the crowd and through the television. So far I am voting for Jordis, of course, but I'm also rooting for a few other people. Ty, Daphna, Heather, JD and Marty are also really good as well. It's going to be interesting.

So good luck to Jordis. And now that it's 12:30, I seriously need to go to bed. Stupid Nyquil has not yet kicked in and I'm going to be so groggy tomorrow. Night, all!

Vincent - by Don McLean

Starry, starry night.
Paint your palette blue and grey,
Look out on a summer's day,
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul.
Shadows on the hills,
Sketch the trees and the daffodils,
Catch the breeze and the winter chills,
In colors on the snowy linen land.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

Starry, starry night.
Flaming flowers that brightly blaze,
Swirling clouds in violet haze,
Reflect in Vincent's eyes of china blue.
Colors changing hue, morning field of amber grain,
Weathered faces lined in pain,
Are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they did not know how.
Perhaps they'll listen now.

For they could not love you,
But still your love was true.
And when no hope was left in sight
On that starry, starry night,
You took your life, as lovers often do.
But I could have told you, Vincent,
This world was never meant for one
As beautiful as you.

Starry, starry night.
Portraits hung in empty halls,
Frameless head on nameless walls,
With eyes that watch the world and can't forget.
Like the strangers that you've met,
The ragged men in the ragged clothes,
The silver thorn of bloody rose,
Lie crushed and broken on the virgin snow.

Now I think I know what you tried to say to me,
How you suffered for your sanity,
How you tried to set them free.
They would not listen, they're not listening still.
Perhaps they never will...