Thursday, March 02, 2006

Counting down

I walked into work yesterday and overheard someone say to someone else "Today is March 1st."

What? Already? How is this possible?

I stopped in the middle of aisle and announced that I was going home. "In 11 days, I will be 39."

Everyone laughed, although there was one woman who was a bit symphathetic because she had been there.

This is probably the first year in a long time that I have not descended into a total and crippling depression right about the time of my birthday. It's been a crappy week for me, I've been extremely stressed out and I'm having a hard time getting up the energy to do anything (including going to work) but I am not just functioning, I'm living. Maybe not with my usual enthusiasm or the normal goofiness that seems to follow me around but I am alive.

Things I am looking forward to this week:

Watching Lost (taped last night so Kim and I could watch American Idol).

The results show for American Idol tonight. I don't really care about the results as long as my favorites stay but it's a chance to see that they are going to stay. I never thought I would become an American Idol fan but I'm starting to enjoy the show. I like music. I like people who sing well. I even (and I can't believe I'm saying this) am starting to like Simon Cowell. Because, yeah, he's kind of an ass (case in point, at one time he told someone that their performance was pure karaoke. What's wrong with karaoke, hmm? Although I knew exactly what he meant - the person singing pretty much just emulated the song. There was nothing original about it at all) but he's not sitting there telling these people that they're superstars. When he compliments someone, it seems more real than when Paula gushes over mundane performences. I also did the karaoke power salute when Elliot was singing last night. Because, yes, I am a dork.

Going to karaoke tonight. Yay karaoke! Seeing Beth. Yay Beth!

I have a $25 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble. I am going to purchase myself a book. I think I deserve it. More than likely it will be something by Neil Gaiman because I finished American Gods last night and I want more. Really, really good book. Have I mentioned that? I might have. Okay. I have checked out Barnes and Noble. $25 is not enough for all that I want. Sigh. I don't think $250 would be enough for what I want. Why do books have to be so good? Fortunately, I do have some reward points that I can redeem for a $10 gift certificate. That will be $35 and I might even be able to get two books! Woo-hoo!

Tomorrow is Friday. Meaning that there is only one day away from the weekend and no one will ask me what their cost basis is for two whole days.

On Saturday, I am going over to Beth's after work and am going to scrapbook. And then there will be karaoke on Sunday. I love Sundays. They are the best day of the week.


You know, doing this made me perk up. Perhaps I should do this more often. I hope you all have something exciting to look forward to this week.