Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What not to wear - the Dana version

Okay. So there's this show that I am somewhat addicted to, gee, I wonder if you can figure out what it is from the title of this post. Hmm.

I don't understand what the appeal of this show is to me. I am highly fashioned challenged. I mix multiple colors together with the assumption that "Hey, they're all pink. It works (looking at photos from Portugal have proven to me that no, it doesn't)." However, I've always been really good at deciding what looks well on others. There was a girl I worked with at the dark side bank that used to run around in little tiny mini skirts and I finally snapped one day and said "Cassie. You need to stop that. No one needs to see your goods when you bend over. Wear palazzo pants. You'll thank me later." Of course she didn't have a clue what palazzo pants were & probably didn't appreciate the comment about her goods (no, I didn't put it that way. Well, I don't think I did. This was back in the B.E. (before Effexor) days and I could be blunt on occasion.

Anyway, before Keem and I went on our escapade, we did pay a visit to the wondrous people at Catherine's and I purchased some new clothes. Said new clothes were mostly found on the clearance rack, I have a hard time spending for than twenty dollars per item of clothing (which doesn't work if you want high quality, let me tell you. There is a big difference between clothes purchased at Wal-Mart (not that I would ever, ever shop there) and Catherine's, mainly that Catherine's uses excellent fabric that normally holds up pretty well (until it meets me and I spill something down the front of it (My name is Dana & I am a slob), fits much better and is fairly classy. Do I sometimes regret not being able to find cute tanks and t-shirts with fun graphics on them? Yes. But it is worth it in the long run).

Okay, after long previous paragraph, I'll get to my point. I found two very nice pair of denim slacks on the clearance rack. One pair is brown, one pair is dark green. So my question is, what the hell do I wear with them? Black is always an option, of course, but I try to avoid black because I am also a lint magnet as well as a slob. And I also have a cat with some white fur (Joe, yes, he did recognize us but boy, was he pissed. Keem got the brunt of it with the "Mrroww, I can't believe you abandoned me, mrroww, pet me now, dammit, I don't care if it is 3 in the morning, mrroww" but I did get a lecture as well) and I shed myself. It is not a good feeling to look at your shirt and start picking hairs off of it. I'm not sure why my hair keeps falling out, I've been told it is very healthy and isn't thinning at all, but it does and it is annoying.

I think pink would look good with either but it depends on the color of pink, right? As much as I love pink, I don't have that many pink shirts. I saw Stacy and Clinton pair a light blue shirt with a pair of brown pants so I'm sure that's an option but, if I remember right, they also threw a pair of gold high heels into the mix and I am not going there. I couldn't wear heels before the inserts & now that the inserts are part of my life, I'm really limited in options. Big ugly man sandals in basic black for the summer, a pair of black tennis shoes (that are too big length wise & are driving me crazy!) and a pair of white slip on tennis from Keem that are so comfortable but don't fit the inserts. I wear them when I am sick of the inserts & socks. It's the closest I get to going barefoot now. Did I mention that I can't go barefoot anymore? Did I mention how much that sucks (I should also mention that my knees don't bother me half as much as they did before the inserts, if I take some basic care and watch how I walk down stairs (sideways, clutching the bannister for dear life) but that detracts from the fun of the complaining)? What about green? I asked my semi-fashion guru here (Co-worker Carla. She laughed when I called her my fashion guru but she is always perfectly turned out (and slim. And beautiful. And I hate her a little but she's so damn nice)) about wearing light green with the brown and she said I would probably look like a tree. Since I like trees, is that really all that bad?

And is it a bad idea to buy the same shirt in different colors if you like the way it looks and fits? I now have two shirts that I have three different color of. Well, three if you count the tank tops. I am afraid of what Stacy and Clinton would say if they could get their hands on me. Actually, I wish they would. Would someone please submit my patheticness to them?

Although I did get my hair cut shorter (picture will follow, I promise) before we left since my beloved brother-in-law Eric took one look at the horribly chopped bangs and the shoulder-length hair and said "Why do you have a mullet?" It now comes to just under my jawline and makes my bangs look like they are supposed to be this length. So if I did get on the show, Nick wouldn't have a heart attack.

Before you think that all I do is watch reality TV (I don't. I watch Lost and Heroes and How I Met Your Mother and Whose Line Is It Anyway), I bring to you this meme I found on Teri's site (and will find on Joe's, once I get caught up on blogs):


What Be Your Nerd Type?
Your Result: Literature Nerd
 

Does sitting by a nice cozy fire, with a cup of hot tea/chocolate, and a book you can read for hours even when your eyes grow red and dry and you look sort of scary sitting there with your insomniac appearance? Then you fit this category perfectly! You love the power of the written word and it's eloquence; and you may like to read/write poetry or novels. You contribute to the smart people of today's society, however you can probably be overly-critical of works.

It's okay. I understand.

Drama Nerd
 
Social Nerd
 
Gamer/Computer Nerd
 
Musician
 
Artistic Nerd
 
Anime Nerd
 
Science/Math Nerd
 
What Be Your Nerd Type?
Quizzes for MySpace


See! I'm not totally shallow. I like to read! Really I do!