Monday, November 05, 2007

Why I adore flea

As you may or may not know, I am not a parent. There's a really good reason for this. Namely, I'm not a kid person. Don't get me wrong, I can admire children from a distance. I find my nephew to be the most incredibly wonderful child in the Universe (I am only slightly biased). I even enjoy what is referred to as a "mommy blog" on occasion (which actually really drives me crazy. I read certain blogs because they are entertaining and edifying and enjoyable. The fact that the blogger also happens to have children doesn't mean they should be lumped into one category. Because believe me when I tell you that all "mommy blogs" are not created equally. If you're to go under that assumption, I should be lumped into the "cat owner blog" category. Which, actually, kind of sums it up but only if you put insane in from of cat).

Anyway, I actually had a point. Here is what it is.

This morning I pulled up a post written by flea at One Good Thing. Seeing a post by flea on bloglines is always very exciting for me. She's an incredibly talented author and can make anything interesting, including, but not limited to, a long battle between her and the most evil light bulb ever known to mankind.

Today's post made me cry. I'd like to suggest that you read this post because I feel that what she did was heroic. It also makes me want to travel to the Chicago area and kick some ass. I'd like to suggest that you read it because otherwise the rest of this post will make absolutely no sense.

I know there are people like this is the world. I know that there are bad parents and personally, I think that everyone should have to take a test before they are allowed to have children. There's a reason why I have chosen to be child-free and that is because I know my limitations. I know that I am impatient and moody and kind of a bitch sometimes. I know that I can lose my temper easily when I am tired and that I can get cranky. So it makes me angry to hear about these people who obviously didn't think the whole child thing through. If you don't want children, don't have them. If you get pregnant by accident, for God's sake, give the baby up for adoption. There are so many good people out there who want kids.

I hope that these people come across the post flea wrote and it makes them realize how pathetic they are. Maybe they'll learn to treat their child with respect. Or maybe, just maybe the system will work and he'll find a home where he is valued.

Okay, have to go back to work now. Sorry for venting but I just couldn't let this go by without saying something.