Thursday, September 29, 2005

Joss Whedon is my master now

As mentioned earlier, Keem and I went to see Serenity. Might I just say that this was a complete and total kick ass movie? And that I adored it? And that I want to see it again? Many, many times.

I am so mad at myself, though. I had an opportunity to win the complete set of Serenity comics - offered to anyone who could sing a song from the musical episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Once More With Feeling. I own this soundtrack. I listen to several of the songs often (Mmm, Spike). So when the guy says sing a song, I stand up, confident that I can win. And then my brain freezes and some other person starts singing "Going Through the Motions." Dammit!

Anyway, we got there early and talked to James for a little bit and then he told me to stand in line with the rest of the nerds. Like he should talk. After standing in line forever (about 30-45 minutes and I really shouldn't complain, some people were there at 2:30), we finally get into the theater and then James did something that will endear him to me forever - he got us keychains. I love keychains. I have many of them. My one key is attached to 8 keychains (3 keychains advertising NABABNA, 1 advertising Beth's Dad's work (it is a poker chip. Very cute), 1 silver heart with pink jewels forming the breast cancer pink ribbon, 1 Rainbow U promise card, 1 SA Speedy Rewards card and my newest keychain) and it is slightly overwhelmed but hey, I can't help it. Keychains are a weakness.

I don't care if you never saw the series Firefly. If you ever watched Buffy or Angel, you will know that Joss Whedon is brilliant and wonderful and I love him with a fiery passion (well, like with a fiery passion, I guess, since I really don't know him). If you haven't watched Buffy or Angel, it doesn't matter, you still might enjoy this movie. It is like the Wild West meeting Space and it made my laugh and cry and clap my hands.

There is nothing like watching a movie with a bunch of other Whedon fans. There were people wearing t-shirts emblazoned with the title of my post. There were people singing songs from the Firefly series while we were waiting for the movie to start. It was a great experience.

I just spent the last two days reading the Firefly transcripts and it just made me fall in love with the movie even more. I went to the website cantstopthesignal.com and read about how people fought for this movie for the longest time and how if it hadn't been for the fans, this movie might never have been made.

I want to see this movie again. I want to see it every day. I want the DVD to be out now. I want to own the Firefly Series on DVD. I want the comic books. I want Joss Whedon to write a ton more series and movies and...and...well, be my friend because he's so damn cool.

Okay. James is right. I am a nerd. I figured it out when I asked my boss if he wanted to see the best keychain ever (Note to self: stop telling boss to "Bite me." That does not present a professional image). And my co-worker Matt? Yeah, I told him I went to see the movie and his first question was "Is The Rock in it? (He mocks my adoration of The Rock)" And I said "No, but I saw the preview for his newest movie (Doom and it looks gory and scary and I'm going to have to see it anyway because hello! It's The Rock and he is shiny).

I'm done now. Go see the movie. It opens today. It would make me happy.