Thursday, January 06, 2005

Uh, did you say utes?

On January 2, 2005, Beth and I were headed to karaoke. She noticed that her car was making this sort of thwacking sound, quite possibly coming from the tires. We discussed it and figured it was quite possibly ice in the tires.

It didn't take long. Shortly after that, we made the connection between ice and mud in the tires. Leading us to one of the best movies ever made, My Cousin Vinny.

And, of course, some of the best lines.

We started with this scene because we had just had the ice/mud connection. This is right after Vinny and Lisa are told that there's probably mud in the tires.

"We're famous for our mud," the kind stranger tells them.

"You're famous for your mud? How's your Chinese food?" Lisa asks.

Then we both, at the same time, went straight to this scene. Vinny is in the court room and starts talking to Mr. Tipton. Mr. Tipton is trying to tell everyone in the court room that Billy and Stan committed the murder in 5 minutes (if you haven't seen the movie, go see it now. Seriously. It's great).

"How could it take you 5 minutes to cook your grits when it takes the entire grit-eating world 20 minutes?" Vinny asks.

"Um... I'm a fast cook, I guess." Mr. Tipton replies.

"You're a fast cook? Are we to believe that boiling water soaks into a grit faster in your kitchen than any place on the face of the earth?"

"I don't know."

"Perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove. Were these magic grits? Did you buy them from the same guy who sold Jack his beanstalk beans?"

We were not far from karaoke and soon had to stop with our quotes.

But I have to tell you. It is moments like this that make me believe I have one of the best lives ever. Because if there is anything better than driving down the highway with one of your best friends, listening to No Doubt and shouting My Cousin Vinny quotes into the night as you are on your way to karaoke, I don't know what it is.

Previous Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Cy said...
"It's time to make your opening statement! Come on, Vin!""Everything that guy said is bulls--t. Thank you."
At 12:46 PM, brooksba said...
DM,It was a fun moment in the car. Even with my car having the shakes from the chunk of ice in the tread. This was a great movie. Just fantastic. "Mrs. Riley, and ONLY Mrs. Riley, how many fingers am I holding up?"Have a fun day!Beth
At 7:25 PM, Matt said...
Of course who could forget the line:"My biological clock is tickin!"And of course:"Oh yea, you blend."I love that movie, that is by far and away one of the best movies ever.By the way Father, "What's a ute?"Matt
At 8:34 AM, CarpeDM said...
"Oh, excuse me, your Honor. The two yoooouuths..."Keem and I watched it on Wednesday. It was great. Even on VHS (I swear I bought it on DVD but no clue where it is. Dang it).