Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Seriously, guys, I'm okay

Hi. Do not laugh but do you know what I'm doing between calls? Searching the Eating Well cookbook to find fun and exciting recipes for me! Because I'm diabetic! Yay! Okay, I know that sounds weird, really I do, but you will not believe how this has galvanized me into action. I had salad last night. And I liked it (although I do really like salad but normally we buy the bagged stuff and then it just sits there. This time we actually bought two different heads of lettuce (romaine and something else but it is a spring green and I love it. Endive? Possibly). Plus Keem made chicken breast to go over it. And tonight we will have salad again. Yay! Salad is good! Plus, instead of eating the entire pint of Haagen Daz's incredibly wonderful Light Mint Chocolate Chip as I am normally wont to do, I only had a 1/4. Save some for later, Dana! You're not going to get this every night as you have done in the past!

I am also aware of the whole carbohydrates = sugar = high blood sugar = BAD! So Keem and I working on cutting out a lot of carbs but not all of them because everyone has to eat carbs. I just can't have as many as I've ate in the past.

Anyway, have to keep track of what I eat and my monitor readings so guess what - you get to see them as well...

September 11, 2007
Brunch (fasting for doctor's appointment) - 3 brats, 1 1/2 buns, onions, mustard
Snack - 10 Juju coins, 1 mini Reese Peanut Butter cup (Elvis style - not bad, actually, considering that there is banana flavoring)
Dinner - Big salad, green onions, smattering of bacon and cheese, Light Done Right 3 Cheese Ranch (best ranch dressing ever), chicken breast
Snack - 1/4 pint of Haagen Daz Light Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream (you would never know that it has half the calories of regular ice cream. It is so good. I'm so used to diet/low fat/low calorie stuff tasting terrible but this is even better than the full-fat version)
Monitorings of glucose level - Morning 225. Evening 286.

September 12, 2007
Breakfast - 2 servings of Dannon Activa yogurt (1 strawberry, 1 blueberry)
Snack - 1 green apple, 1 dollop of caramel (small dollop. The container of caramel is a snack size, very hard to figure out sizes on Simon Delivers unless you know your ounces. I'm learning. I suppose the fact that it was 99 cents should have been a clue)
Lunch - Weight Watcher's Smart One: Creamy Rigatoni with Broccoli & Chicken
Monitorings of glucose level - Morning 258

I'm also on some new medication called glucosogage or something. Hopefully it will help.

Oh, and if you're not reading Geese Aplenty, you should be. He doesn't post often but when he does, oh my Lord, do I start laughing. Here is an example from today's post about giving blood:

Medical assistant who conducted my pre-interview: “Now, be sure to call this number if you get sick over the week and you want to warn us about a potential problem with your donation. For example, let us know if you come down with small pox, malaria, or republicanism.”

The co-workers think I'm insane again.