Friday, November 12, 2004

The Bus & Me

I rode the bus today. And I lived!

No, it's not usually a dangerous expedition, to ride the bus (although one of the news stations did a report on dangerous bus rides last night. I didn't watch it). But I hate riding the bus. With a small and fiery passion.

Keem (she's posted recently) woke me up this morning at 5:30 to tell me she was sick and wasn't going to work. I really wasn't surprised because she had told me yesterday that she wasn't feeling good and went to bed early. This meant that I had to get up and check online for the bus information. There is something completely surreal about doing this at 5:30 in the morning, when you're still half asleep and staring at the computer screen, trying to make sense of the numbers. I think I had to enter in my address 3 times before it would register.

Then I went off to bed, after verifying that Keem had change since I, like usual, am extremely broke. And I lay there, staring at the ceiling, thinking about how would I know that I would get up for work on time. Maybe I should just get up now and get ready. What? Am I crazy? It's almost 6 AM. GO TO SLEEP! And it worked, eventually. Until my alarm clock started going off at 7:30 (technically, it's 7:20 because it's supposed to trick me into looking at the clock and going OH MY GOD, it's 7:30 but I always look at it and I know it's really 7:20 and then I hit the snooze button).

I got up, I did my usual getting ready things (except for make-up. Today was not a make-up day) and I went to the store because, even though I am broke, payday is only 1 business day away. Yes. I am one of those people who calculates how quickly the check will come through the bank. Except when I get overdrawn, and I do on occasion, I don't complain about it. I know it's my own fault for not actually keeping a register.

I walked outside the building and waited for the bus for a total of two minutes. Which was nice. I'm used to standing outside for hours. I knew it was going to be cold today so I wore the scarf that Angi crocheted for me. It is a replica of one of the scarfs Tom Baker wore when he portrayed the 4th Doctor on Doctor Who (the picture isn't the exact color but it's a good picture of him). I have wanted one of these scarfs since I was 16 (and had a huge crush on a guy who was 8 years older than me (which actually might be a good post someday. If you're interested, let me know. I only work for your amusement, of course)) and I finally found someone who not only crocheted but was willing to make it for me.

The problem, of course, is that Tom Baker is at least 6 feet tall. I am 5'5" (give or take a 1/4 inch) so this scarf? Yeah, it's huge. I usually have to wrap it around my neck about two or three times in order to keep it from falling off or tripping over it. But I love it.

The bus was pretty full with a bunch of teenagers but they were polite and, while talking amongst themselves, weren't really annoying as teenagers can be. After the entire bus (except myself) got off the bus to go to school, I had a nice conversation with the bus driver about how they all used to be a pain but how he offered them respect and they now treat him with respect. We had fun talking about kids today and laughing over how we used to do the things they think are so rebellious, getting drunk, doing drugs, skipping school, etc. He said "Yeah, I did all of that. That's why I'm driving a bus now." I said "Yeah, that's why I'm going to go listen to old people yell at me." So, if any teenagers read my blog, stay in school, don't drop out of college, don't do drugs and if you're going to have sex, make sure it's protected. This is the Queen of the Universe talking to you so you better damn well pay attention.

So that's my day, so far. It's about 2 PM and I am exhausted. My lunch is almost over. I'm going to ride the bus home, call Beth and tell her I won't be able to make it tonight to our Friday night Sheepsheadian get-together. I'm sad about this but I know I'll see her on Sunday and Monday. Plus, I'm not feeling so good myself so maybe I'm coming down with whatever Keem has.

Hope your day is going well. Oh, if you don't watch Without A Trace, I would like to tell you that you missed something pretty amazing last night. I was seriously impressed with Poppy Montgomery's portrayal of Samantha Spade & was freaking out when she was kidnapped by the bad drug runners & the bad guy was beating the crap out of her. Jeff came and watched a little with me and kept telling me that it would be okay, she was a main character & she wouldn't die but television has burned me before with the death of main characters. Anyway, it was a very good episode and I was so impressed with Poppy's acting & Samantha's character that I've finally come up with the name of my main character in my book. Her name is Samantha True Montgomery. And God, does her life suck. But she will overcome it.

Previous Comments:

At 5:58 PM, Firebear said...
Tom Baker scarfs rule! Especially when they are too long!