Monday, November 08, 2004

Movies and Karaoke - Could life be better than this?

DeAnn keeps putting these subtle little hints on her blog about television shows that I (well, it's more like a hint to everyone. She doesn't just single me out) should watch. I have to say that I'm glad I listen to her, I watched one episode of Veronica Mars and am hooked, even though I'm also completely lost as well.

But I keep forgetting to set the vcr for Joan of Arcadia. And I have a karaoke conflict on Sundays so I don't have a chance to watch Arrested Development & I think my roommate is taping something else on Sunday nights.

Anyway, Friday night, I could have watched Joan of Arcadia but this is the night that Keem and I meet Beth and Matt at Fridleykins so I took as much computer time as I could and then had to go and take a nap. Because I am old and no longer party like a rock star, I cannot get up at 6:45 AM, go to work, come home, play on the computer and then go to Fridleykins (Perkins) until 3 or 4 in the morning.

I remember being in my 20's and going out to the bars every night and drinking and laughing and dancing (yes, dancing but it was weird late 80's early 90's dancing which would frighten you all) and then dragging myself out of bed in the morning and going to work. Without even a hangover. And now, when I don't drink and haven't had a drink in over a year, can't even fathom how I did that. What happened? When did I get so old? I'm only freakin' 37. I can not imagine what it's going to be like when I'm 50.

So we had a great time Friday night/Saturday morning, playing Sheepshead and laughing and talking and catching up. Then Keem and I went home and crashed in our respective beds while Eddy (my cat but he thinks he's Keem's) did his patented "Where the hell have you been? I am needy and all alone" yowls.

Saturday was movie day. Keem and I vegged and watched movies all day, not that I can remember what they were.

Sunday, I woke up early and started to watch Heathers but there are no subtitles which is wrong on so many levels. What the hell is the point in making a DVD if you're not going to put subtitles on it? Damn Hollywood. Damn them! I got about 10 minutes into and gave up. Keem woke up and we watched more movies. I made a pork roast with potatoes and carrots. I don't cook often but when I do, I like to go all out.

Then, around 4 or 5, I headed off to bed. Time for a nap before karaoke. Beth picked me up at around 9 and we were off to The Chalet. It was a slow night, Bryan (the jovial karaoke host) didn't start the show right away so Beth, Michael (a regular) and myself had a lovely conversation about politics, movies and music. Since we all agree with one another, it was a lot of fun. It was Michael's birthday. Happy Birthday, Michael.

At one point, Bryan, Michael, Bobby, Beth and myself headed outside. The Northern Lights were out and we all stared at the sky in awe for a few minutes and then realized it was fairly cold outside and headed back in. Here in the cities, they only show up as white lines against the dark sky. I have heard that they are blue and purple and gold and red in Alaska and a part of me wants to go there someday. I blame Nora Roberts' latest book Northern Lights and the movie Mystery, Alaska for this.

I had a great evening, singing and listening and clapping and trying new songs. I will not be trying Elton John's Your Song again, thank you very much.

Bobby was there. And this time there was foam cascading down the side of the glass. And 3! lime slices! We are obviously engaged.

Hope your weekend was great. Love ya!

Previous Comments:

At 10:10 PM, brooksba said...
Dana!Wonderful engagement announcement! =)Will you be having Bryan sing at the reception? Would you allow him to perform the ceremony? Can I come to the wedding?I agree, movies and karaoke, and just hanging out with friends is a great thing. I don't really watch any TV and I don't think I even have tapes for a VCR anymore. Oh well. I'm missing out.Beth
At 3:01 AM, DeAnn said...
You know what? While I'm watching AWESOME TV, you're actually living life. Please, by all means, continue.But you could totally record Joan of Arcadia. And Veronica Mars. And ...I'll stop now.(And you know I'm writing to only you, because YOU are the Queen of the Universe.)
At 8:54 AM, CarpeDM said...
Hmm, I could have either Bryan or Michael perform the ceremony, since they are both ordained. Someday, Bobby's going to do a search on google for something about The Chalet and he's going to find my blog and then I'm so going to be in trouble when he gets the restraining order against me. What would I do if I couldn't go to karaoke? How would I explain to him that I'm really not a freak, I'm just fascinated by his big, masculine, diet coke & water pouring hands?
At 10:23 PM, Matt said...
Father,I don't think that he would have a restraining order against you since you have not leaped over the bar and into his large water and diet coke pouring hands, yet. I may drink water one night that I am up there just so you can go and get a refill or three, and then we can see what the limit is for you before you do take that leap of faith and pour yourself into his hands, that would be great.Congratulations on getting engaged! I am thrilled for you. I just want to know, do you want me to wear a dress for the reception? Please let me knwo in advance, because then I will have time to creatively shave the leg hair into something fashionable.Matt
At 8:41 AM, CarpeDM said...
No, Matt, no dress. That would be bad. I have an image of you in a nicely flowered frock with the bald head and the leg hair. Yeah. No dress. Please, for the love of God.
At 4:24 PM, The Lioness said...
Am swamped in work and good causes but I have time to tell you, dahling, that your new template ROCKS!!!! Fit for a Queen. Which you are - obviously.