Friday, December 01, 2006

And yet again, technology escapes me

Hello! I have shiny happy internet service now! Whoo!

Keem and I had the following conversation this morning.

Keem: I was talking to this guy about signing up for NABABNAonline.com and he wasn't able to do it so I said he probably had a problem with his internet service. And he laughed and said yes, probably, he has dial up. And then I laughed and said I used to have dial up. He said it religiously connects at 43k each time.
DM: We had that. We did. But now we have 6! Six! I have no idea what that is but I like it!
Keem: That would be 6 megabytes per second, Dana.
DM: I still don't know what that means but I don't care! Six!

Do you know what this means now, dear Internet? Do you? It means I'm going to be doing some major blog surfing in the next few days to come. Well, as soon as I get a modem for my room (the guy installing didn't have the actual work order because the other guy was running late so he only had one modem but Keem's computer works after I called Comcast and said "hey, it doesn't work" and he said "it's a problem with your network interface card" and I said "huh?" and he said "Try a usb cord" and I said "huh?" again and he suggested I have my roommate call (But he was really impressed at how fast I navigated the system to try all of the different problem solving options he had for me. As I explained, if it's software, I'm okay. Hardware confuses me).

Fortunately Keem knows these technical things and was able to install the usb cord today and now we have internet!

Yeah, and in case you think, okay, well, Dana, these are rather technical terms, it's okay that you don't know what they are, let me tell you about the five minutes it took me to figure out that the reason I didn't have a dial tone this morning was because, when I switched phones to hook up the cordless phone (for some reason we have only found one phone jack in the entire apartment), I kind of forgot to put the little phone cord thingy into the phone base. And yes, I have been known to tell my boss that my monitor wasn't working and have him come over and have him plug it in. Sigh.