Tuesday, December 26, 2006

A Year in Review

1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
Fell in love. Really and truly. Not fake infatuation crap. The fact that it's unrequieted just makes it even more fun and exciting. I know. It's sad. But it works, in its own little twisted way. I adore him, he's a great friend and neither of us would have the slightest idea to make a relationship work.

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn't make any last year. I'm not planning on it for this year. Well, that's not true. I'm going to ask Deb about the lap band. I'm not sure that it'll go any farther than that but I'm going to ask.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth or adopt?
No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. However, Eric's aunt Jo died on Friday which is sad.

5. What countries did you visit?
Canada.

6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
A receipt from the IRS saying that I've paid them. It's not going to happen but one can dream, right?

7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 15, 2006. The day that I told James how I felt about him. And compared him to Batman. Adam West Batman. Good Lord, what was I thinking? Oh, right. I was drunk.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Moving to the counter. Getting to be the back-up Quality Assurance Monitor.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Fail? Me? Please. I like to think of them as unexpected pit stops on the road of life. I would have to say that it would be completely screwing up my checkbook twice and ending up in major debt. Extreme debt. I'm sort of coming out of it but I'm still getting a lot of calls from creditors.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Oh, yeah. Bronchitis is not our friend.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Does my new apartment count? I didn't buy it, I'm renting it but I love it.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Beth and Keem. Two of the greatest people ever. If not for them, I wouldn't be here.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
A former friend who decided that he was going to completely cut himself out of our lives by telling a whole bunch of lies. It didn't really depress me, it just pissed me off.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Um, overdraft fees.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to Canada with Beth. Road trips are so awesome.

16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Whatever song Bryan comes up with on the weird half drum/half guitar like instrument that Beth and I gave him for Christmas.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
happier
b) thinner or fatter?
fatter
c) richer or poorer?
poorer

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
I don't know, actually. Getting rid of stuff before I moved, I suppose.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Getting sick. I hate being sick.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Well, it's after Christmas. Mainly I spent Christmas Eve with Eric, Kari and Josh at Rob and Betty's. Christmas Day I spent at home. Listening to Eddy meow because I'm not Keem.

21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
I admited I was in love in 2006. That was hard.

22. How many one-night stands?
Excuse me while I laugh hysterically. That would be a big fat zero. Not that I wish I would have had a one-night stand, exactly, but you know what I mean.

23. What was your favorite TV program?
HEROES! Lost, How I Met Your Mother and The Class as well.

24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I try very hard not to hate anyone. I don't hate the former friend I mentioned, I'm just glad he's no longer in my life.

25. What was the best book you read?
Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens. Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper (even though it made me cry horribly). There are too many to list.

26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Ok Go. I love them.

27. What did you want and get?
To kiss James. Granted, I was really drunk at the time but I can still summon the tingle I felt in my lips.

28. What did you want and not get?
You know, I don't know. I don't think I really want for anything. I've got good friends, a great apartment, a good job and wonderful happy pills. Life is pretty great.

29. What was your favorite film of this year?
I can't say that I had a favorite. I really liked Superman Returns. I can't think of what else I saw, other than X-Men 3. I pretty much like every movie I've ever seen, except for two.

30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Spent it with Beth. Went to the Chalet. Got a card from James.

Obviously I was repressing about my age. I was 39. Sigh.

31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I don't think I really am lacking anything. Even my unrequieted love works for me. I'm not good at relationships at all and, as weird as it seems, it's nice to know that I love him. As frustrating as it may be to know that he's quite possibly the most perfect guy in the world for me, in the long run, I'm better off not dwelling over what might be and concentrating on what a great friend he is. Of course, this will change when I see him again and fall all over for that stupid goofy smile of his and then I will want to smack him across the forehead for not recognizing my greatness.

32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
Fashion? What is this fashion you speak of? Right now I'm sitting here in my oversized linty black shirt that I managed to spill ketchup on, with my graying hair that I'm too lazy to dye myself and which I hacked my bangs off. I am a fashion nightmare. Not that I care. Oh. I guess that's my fashion concept. I don't care.

33. What kept you sane?
Beth. Keem. Effexor and Seraquel

34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I fell half in love with Hiro on Heroes. More with the character than the guy that plays him but Masi Oka is pretty damn cute.

35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Stupid people voting against gay marriage. Again.

36. Who did you miss?
Johnny. I really want to see her again. I really want to be in Portugal.

37. Who was the best new person you met?
Diana. Well, meeting her in real life.

38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006:
Don't stop taking your Happy Pills! They're there for a reason (yes, as I type this, I have run out of them but I see Deb on January 2nd and Effexor takes forever to leave your system).

39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Either "It’s no dream; we can live the world anew" or "Invincible oh oh oh
So please use your powers for good. Please use your powers for good." The first song is by Jim Broggia - Live the Proof (discovered on Pandora). The second song is from Ok Go.