Thursday, December 21, 2006

Hey, when I promised a post about not being sick, no one said it couldn't be a meme

This is the one via Ruth which I gleefully stole from Beth:

Favorite seasonal movie? – How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original one, mind you), It’s a Wonderful Life
Song you most enjoy this time of year? – O Holy Night (preferably NOT the Josh Groban one, he doesn’t do it justice), Silent Night and I’m also quite fond of the Heat Miser/Snow Miser songs
Decorate, inside? Outside? – I’m really not a decorator myself. We live in an apartment so it is a bit difficult to decorate outside. I have put my trio of holiday rubber duckies in my bathroom. Next to my Santa Frog.
Do you make a list? If so, how many people are on it? – A list would indicate that I am organized. I am not organized.
How up to the last minute do you shop? – I am sometimes still shopping after Christmas, depending on when the person and I get together to exchange gifts.
When do you open your gifts? – Whenever I get the chance. I can be sneaky. I used to open presents long before Christmas, being careful to not rip the paper. Mom caught on and started using way too much tape so I couldn’t open the presents.
Holiday food you most savor? – I would kill for Slacie Klace, if I knew how to spell it or make it. It is a very German recipe and I haven’t had it since my Grandmother died.
Favorite holiday book? – I could be really annoying and say it is the Bible but I would be lying (plus, in the move, I may have accidentally thrown my Bibles away (I am so going to Hell but they reminded me of unpleasant people and I don’t need the memories)). If pressed, I would probably say How the Grinch Stole Christmas.
New Year Resolutions? – Um, yeah. What’s the point? I’m going to break them. Although I did keep the following New Year’s Resolution – in 1990, I vowed to kiss every guy at the party I was at. In 2005, I vowed not to kill anyone.

Added questions:
Wrapping paper or gift bags? – Please. Gift bags. I am all about the convenience. One year I ended up doing decorative gift boxes because it was easier than gift bags.
Real tree or artificial? – I’m allergic to real.
When do you put up the tree? – Whenever Keem decides. This year we’re not putting one up. No biggie. She’s thinking we might go for a tabletop next year. Not a bad idea considering we don’t have any room for a tree.
Do you like eggnog? – Blech. I like the idea of eggnog. I just can’t stand the taste of it.
Favorite gift received as a child? – Books, books and more books. It was awesome. I don’t know where she got them but my Mom gave me something like 20 books, including the first Trixie Belden book.
Do you have a nativity scene? – Somewhere. It’s made out of Quartz. Or some sort of crystal thing. It’s kind of tacky but cute.
Hardest person to buy for? – Oh, that’s easy. Beth. We have completely different tastes and she is less likely to be fascinated by a pop-up map of the Twin Cities.
Easiest person to buy for? – Kari. She tells me what she wants, I give her money and she goes and picks it up.
Worst Christmas gift you ever received? – Last night, when shopping with Beth, we had the following conversation:

DM: I don’t think I can think of a Christmas present I ever received that I didn’t like.

Brief pause.

DM: Oh, wait, yes, I can.
Beth: Was it an El Camino model that you have to put together?
DM: Yes, it was. Please. Did the guy* know me at all? You know what the difference between him and you are? You would never buy me a model El Camino.
Beth: No, I’d probably drive you around and have your picture taken with various El Caminos.
DM: Yeah! That would be so cool. Or you would put the stupid model together for me and paint it orange, like you know I want my future one to be.

*Adam. And no, he didn’t know me at all. He also once gave me an urn. Granted, the urn has pandas on it and I like pandas but I still keep looking at it and wondering whose ashes I’m going to put into it.

Mail or email Christmas cards? – Um, yeah, I forget to do either. I’m thinking about doing a Christmas letter one of these years. Just for the heck of it. I promise not to be totally smarmy.
When do you start Christmas shopping? – Last paycheck before Christmas.
Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? – Not technically. Recycling indicates that the person doesn’t know it was given to you previously. I usually will say “Hey, I got this and I have no use for it. Want it?”
Clear lights or colored on the tree? – Don’t do the decoration but I am all about the colors. Multiple colors. Bright. Shiny. Yay!
Travel at Christmas or stay home? – Where would I go?
Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? – Um, you know Dasher and Dancer and Comet and Cupid. Somebody and somebody and Donner and somebody else. I think that would be a no. Wasn’t one of them named Bashful?
Angel or Star on the tree top? – You know, if I keep asking Keem these questions, she’s going to hurt me. The correct answer would be “How the heck do I know? I don’t pay attention to these things.”
Most annoying thing about this time of year? – People. People in their shoving, pushing, annoying, let’s forget the whole reason behind Christmas in our need to outdo everything we did last year, cranky, grumpy way. Did I ever mention that I spent 10 years working in the mall at Christmas? Yeah, not a big fan of the shopping this time of year.