Friday, July 09, 2004

Driving with Ms. Dana

Another driving story from my past.

Every now and then, Eric (the brother-in-law) will allow me to drive, ignoring the fact that I am without permit or license. He is a brave, brave man and very patient. I am quite fond of him. Here is a transcript of our most recent journey together (about two years ago).

Eric: I am going to the store. Do you want to come with?

DM: Sure. Can I drive?

Eric (looking around to make sure Kari can't hear): Sure.

DM manages to back out of the driveway without crushing trees or car. Starts up the hill and sees, oh the horror, a car approaching on the other side of the road. She, to put it mildly, freaks out.

DM: Oh my God! What do I do?

Eric (calmly): Stay on your side.

DM (after car passes): Okay. I can do this. (Looks at speedometer) Too fast! Too fast!

Eric (laughing): Dana, you're going five miles an hour. You can speed up a little.

I did eventually learn to press the gas pedal a little more and actually got up to 15 miles an hour on that trip. It was cut short after we reached the store and Eric realized I am terrified of parking (any kind, not just parallel) and he had to park for me.

I am a coward when it comes to driving. However, I do like to ride fast.