Friday, July 23, 2004

It could happen to you - The Kiss

Jon finally decided that the worst thing that could possibly happen is that Jack would reject Jon's advances.  A phone call was made to Jack, asking to meet that evening at the library.  Jack agreed, later telling Alex about a fictional test would be taking place the next day.

Jack approached the table where Jon was waiting.  Both Jack and Jon noticed silently the preparation that each other had taken for this meeting.  Both had rejected their usual uniform of jeans and t-shirts normally worn for an all-night study session and instead, were dressed up.  Jack pulled out a chair and sat down.

"You wanted to talk?" Jack asked quietly.

"Yes.  I have something I need to ask you...but maybe we should go somewhere else?" Jon whispered.

"Okay.  I brought my car tonight," Jack replied.  "I thought maybe we could grab something to eat later, off campus.  Where should we go?"

Jon stood up.  "I know a spot where we can talk without being interrupted.  I'll give you directions."

An hour later, Jack pulled the car off to the side of the lake.  "This is really out of the way.  How did you find this place?"

"Sandy used to bring me out here.  No one else comes out here, I guess.  Maybe this is a bad idea, we can go somewhere else if you..."  Jon stopped talking when Jack slowly reached out and picked up Jon's hand.

"I don't want to go anywhere else.  This is fine," Jack said.  "You said we needed to  talk."

"I think you're right."  Jon swiveled in the seat to face Jack.  "I don't know how to say this.  I'm really worried about how you're going to react to this and I'm afraid it's going to ruin our friendship but...I...well, I have feelings for you that go beyond friendship.  I'm, well, I'm really attracted to you."  Jon said the last two sentences in a rush, worried about Jack's reaction.

Jack smiled in relief.  "Oh, God, I thought for sure you were going to tell me you didn't want to see me anymore.  I'm crazy about you, Jon.  I think of you all the time.  I broke up with Alex last night because I just couldn't fake my interest anymore."

Jon felt tears of joy well up.  "I have wanted to do this for awhile, I just hid my feelings from myself and from you."  Jon reached out and touched Jack's face softly.  They leaned in to each other and kissed for the first time.  It was the most magical experience either of them had ever had, different from what they were both used to with their former lovers.  The kiss became more passionate and then Jack pulled away and began to rain kisses all over Jon's face.

"I love you, Jack," Jon said softly.  "I think I have from when we first met."

Jack pulled back.  "I love you too, Jon.  What are we going to do?" 

Jon knew that Jack wasn't talking about how they would consumate their love for each other.  Both Jon and Jack knew how society reacted to what was considered taboo relationships.  The name calling, the hate letters...the news would report stories of violence in some cases in which a couple had been discovered.  By declaring their love for each other, they were taking a serious risk.  "Maybe we can keep it quiet?  I don't know what else to do...No one should have any problem with us being seen as friends.  We just have to be careful."

"Maybe we could get an apartment together off campus next semester and say we're roommates?"  Jack asked.  "That is, if you would want to..."

"Live with you?  Be with you all the time?  I would love that.  We better get a two bedroom, though.  I don't think my family would be ready for this yet."  Jon snuggled up to Jack, pulling Jack in for another kiss.  "I am.  I am very ready for what the future brings."