Sunday, July 18, 2004

My visit to Kari and Eric's house

Cuddlers of America, Unite!
 
Yesterday I woke up at 5:30 in the morning because of a loud cry from the nephew’s bedroom.  Josh was awake…and not happy about it.  Can’t say I particularly blamed him, I don’t like being awake as well.  Kari came out to the living room, where I was sleeping on the couch, and sent me off to her and Eric’s bed to sleep.  About 15 minutes later, Kari crawled into bed with me.  This simple act brought back memories of lying in bed with Mom and Kari and cuddling. 
 
One of the nice things about living with Jeff and Keem is that in two years, we’ve gone from being roommates to extended family.  When Jeff is on the computer in Keem’s room, we all seem to gravitate there.  He will surf the net and Keem and I will lie on the bed.  I have decided that Keem’s back makes a good pillow.  There’s nothing sexual about this, I think of Keem as another sister.  The three of us will chat about our days and it’s a great way to catch up on what is new.  Sometimes Eddy and Bob (the cats) will join us.
 
I think more people should cuddle.  I think our world would be a better place if we would just take the few minutes to climb onto a soft surface, put our arms around each other and just listen to one another’s heartbeat.  Maybe we would realize that our enemies are people just like us…
 
Just imagine what could happen if there wasn’t any more hate in this world.  I think John Lennon said it best in Imagine.
 
You may say I'm a dreamer,
But I'm not the only one,
I hope some day you will join us,
And the world will be as one.
 
 
Why I tried to smother my sister
 
Kari chose to use perfectly good cuddling time to inform (lecture) me of some things she had noticed.  Apparently, I snore.  Kari and Mom are convinced that I have sleep apnea and Kari and I covered the following topics:

  1. I snore like my father did (very loud). 
  2. This is not all I have inherited from my father. 
  3. I also was lucky enough to get his hairy knuckles and toes (Gee, thanks, Dad). 
  4. I also have his deformed pinkies (they curve inward) and can’t wear rings. 
  5. However, I did get his love of reading and so I gladly accept the other traits. 
  6. I need to go to the doctor. 
  7. My shoulder hurts. 
  8. If I were treated for sleep apnea, many of my other problems would go away.
     
    This is about when I put the pillow over her head to get her to stop talking. 
      
    Observations from the shower 

Kari and Eric’s water pressure sucks.

  1. There is a large rubber duckie hanging from the wall.  I think it’s a bathtub for Josh.  This shower is not big enough for the two of us.  The duck must go. 
  2. Kari has expensive tastes.  I am lathering my hair with Nioxin’s Scalp Cleanser.  It is tingly and tastes reminiscent of York’s Peppermint Patty (no, I did not mean to get it into my mouth).  It probably costs more than my shampoo and shower gel combined.
  3. There isn’t any shower gel.
  4. How can there not be shower gel? 
  5. I cannot believe I am using Johnson’s Baby Bath as shower gel.
  6. Hey, my skin feels really soft now.
  7. God, this kid has a lot of toys.

Damn duck won’t hang back up on the wall. 
  
My sister Kari –  the seasoned world traveler
 
So yesterday, I ended up late for work.  Why?  Because my sister got lost.  Again.  (Why is it that both Kim and Beth ask if I gave her wrong directions?  That’s not right.)  Kari asked me if we should take the highway and I said no, let’s just the way we came yesterday.  It’s probably quicker.  We just pass Dellwood and she turns right instead of going around White Bear Lake to where 96 continues.
 
DM:  Where are you going?
K:  Does Country Road J go all the way through?
DM:  I don’t know.  This is not the way we went last night.
 
We hit Hugo and she turns on to J.  It does not go all the way through to work.  It becomes Bald Eagle Lake Road. 
 
DM:  Where is your cell phone?
K:  I guess it’s a good thing I brought it today (Digs it out of her purse).
DM:  (Growls while she dials work.)  Hi, Craig.  It’s Dana.
C:  Hi, Dana.  How are you?
DM:  Oh, I’m great but I’m lost.  My sister took the non-sanctioned route (Kari giggles) and I am now on Bald Eagle Lake Road which is circling what I assume is Bald Eagle Lake.  I’m going to be late.
C:  That’s okay.  I’ll see you when you get here.  (I put the phone back in Kari’s purse)
K:  Should we turn back or keep going?
DM:  Keep going.  I’m sure we’ll find something we recognize eventually.
K:  Ooh, County Road H2!  I’ll turn here.
DM:  (After a few minutes, I begin to recognize scenery.)  Oh!  I know where we are!  Keep going straight and then turn left at the stop sign.
K:  How do you know this?
DM:  Because this is where we were yesterday.
K:  Oh.  Are you sure?  Oh, wait, I remember that house.  You’re right.
DM:  Don’t be so surprised.

 I was only 22 minutes late.  This isn’t too bad, all things considered.  And at least Kari knows how to get to my work now.  Or, at least, a general idea of where it’s located.