Friday, July 02, 2004

I like this song. Superman has the right to have a dark side.

For some reason, my friends choose to refer to this as the "whiny" song (there have been other words but this is a G-rated post). I happen to really like it. That might be because I appreciate that Superman had a tough job fighting criminals day and night and he couldn't be with Lois Lane. He wasn't my favorite superhero by any means. When I was 5, I had a tremendous crush on Aquaman. When I grew up, I really had it bad for Batman (but only played by Adam West). So this song makes Superman seem a little less perfect to me. Is that so bad?

Superman (It ain't easy) - Five for Fighting

I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
I’m just out to find
The better part of me
I’m more than a bird...I’m more than a plane
More than some pretty face beside a train
It’s not easy to be me

I Wish that I could cry
Fall upon my knees
Find a way to lie
About a home I’ll never see

It may sound absurd...but don’t be naive
Even Heroes have the right to bleed
I may be disturbed...but won’t you concede
Even Heroes have the right to dream
It’s not easy to be me

Up, up and away...away from me
It’s all right...You can all sleep sound tonight
I’m not crazy...or anything…

I can’t stand to fly
I’m not that naive
Men weren’t meant to ride
With clouds between their knees

I’m only a man in a silly red sheet
Digging for kryptonite on this one way street
Only a man in a funny red sheet
Looking for special things inside of me

It’s not easy to be me.

Previous Comments

At 8:36 PM, brooksba said...
It's not whiny? That's what you think? Maybe you should listen to the masses and realize that 5 for Fighting is about as close to Dave Matthews Band for poor quality songwriting as you can get. Let's face it. The band got popular for writing a song about how horrible it is to be the Man of Steel. Now, Superman might have some problems, but we all do and that's not something to whine about. He's supposed to be superhero, helping everyone and setting an example. What example does this song set? That it is okay to moan and complain all the time when things don't go your way. Things don't go your way all the time. At least he can fly.