Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Crap. She's still 11 years younger than me.

Today is Beth's birthday. Feel free to go visit her blog and say hi to her and wish her a happy birthday. We are going to Manny's tonight and I am going to have some of the best steak known to man. I am very grateful to Beth's mom for two reasons - one being that she brought Beth into the world 27 years ago and the second that she said Beth could bring a friend tonight. Mmm. Steak.

Beth and I were talking this weekend about what we did last year and I pulled up this post to refresh my memory. You'll all be very shocked to hear this but we went to karaoke. I know. What are the chances?

After the company party, Beth picked me up when she got off of work and we spent the weekend together in a whirlwind frenzy of celebration and excitement (because you know what party animals we are).

We watched several episodes of Lost on Saturday night so that I could get caught up and we could discuss the show with James. I told her about the hypnotist and, when I realized it was about 8 in the morning and I was still wide awake, said "Huh. Maybe I was somewhat hypnotized since he said I would be as rested as if I had 8 hours of sleep." Beth made S'mores in the microwave. It's funny, we both love S'mores although I hate marshmallows and Beth doesn't like chocolate. But when you put them in a S'more, it's all good. Beth's theory is that it's the graham cracker.

On Sunday, we went to her Dad's house. He had ordered pizza and we watched Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I can now honestly say that there are two movies that I don't like - Romper Stomper and this movie. I'm not saying that it wasn't well acted, because let's face it, Johnny Depp is brilliant, but it was just bizarre and made absolutely no sense to me and the only thing I took away from it was that drugs are very bad and some people will do anything to get a buzz. Ether? Adrenal? Eww.

After that, we went to karaoke. It was a great night. Angie and Amy were there. Angie's boyfriend Steve also came up. I really like him and think he and Angie make a great pair. Angie told me, after he had left, that he had asked her if they were going up to karaoke because he wanted to see Beth and Hurricane Dana. That is so sweet.

Beth decided to ask me to sing songs that I would normally never try and am usually fairly good at resisting her pleas. Perhaps it was due to recently being hypnotized but somehow I let her talk me into singing I Believe In A Thing Called Love by The Darkness (very high in some places), Mr. Brightside by The Killers and Rock You Like A Hurricane by The Scorpions. Hmm. That's some interesting names for bands. I don't think I embarrassed myself too much. I may have to try Mr. Brightside again, I like that song.

It was freezing at the Chalet, something was wrong with the heat. I am not normally cold but I was shivering. I came very close to drinking coffee (blech) in an attempt to warm up. Or setting a table on fire.

Barry was there! He arrived with James. We had not seen him for awhile, the last time was when he came up to the Chalet to help James celebrate his birthday. I did see Gil. I did not throw myself at him in order to warm myself up. I will admit to being tempted. No, Barry is not Gil, although he is rather hot if you disregard the serial killer vibes he gives off.

After karaoke, Beth and I went to Perkins where I had two cups of hot chocolate and an Open Faced Turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes and gravy. It was very good. And helped me warm up a lot. Note to self: It's October. In Minnesota. Start wearing a jacket. Or at least a sweater. Sheesh.

I then watched Beth put together the surround sound system her Dad bought her for her birthday. Beth is good at putting electronics together. I have no clue. I have a tendency to not follow directions well. Or get distracted. Her new surround sound system (after all the little quirks were dealt with) is silvery and shiny and looks like it came from a space ship.

Beth and I had a great discussion about life and religion and love and space (I believe that it is arrogant of us to believe that we are the only intelligant life in the universe that God created. I do believe that there are other galaxies filled with people) while she was working on this.

I had Monday off so I slept later than usual. It was nice not having to be to work at 8 the morning after karaoke. After running around and doing some errands (returning the DVD player for the space ship surround system, sending her camera in for repair), we returned to Beth's and I watched Love Actually. And cried. And yelled at the TV (I really don't like Mia. She is a horrible person). And laughed. It is a great movie.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I always have a good time when I see Beth. And happy birthday to one of the best friends I've ever had. I will see you tonight at 5 and am looking forward to spending more time with you. And going to karaoke tomorrow.

Okay, I have to stop yawning. Must get sleep tonight. Have a stupid training class way early in the morning and am not looking forward to it. I hope you all had a good weekend!