Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Neglect

It has dawned on me that I have neglected to give my objective review to the most recent movies that I have seen.

I know how much you look forward to these reviews, dear internet, so here goes:

Movie Number One:

Kingpin – Apparently, my taste has been considered questionable by both Johnny and Beth. Something to do with the fact that I liked the Porky’s trilogy so, according to them, I can not be trusted when it comes to reviewing a movie. To which I say “Bah.” Anyway, yes, there are some funny parts. But not many and I know the only reason Beth likes this movie is because it’s about bowling.

Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events – This was playing on our way back from Portugal, the Amsterdam to America leg. I had wanted to see this movie, especially after reading the first 3 books of the series (I would love to read the rest of them but they are pretty expensive, $10 a book, if not more). I also usually enjoy Jim Carrey movies. I was really surprised when Beth decided to watch the movie with me because she cannot stand Jim Carrey (although she did enjoy The Majestic). I really enjoyed this movie. I thought it was very similar to the books, the children were portrayed very well and Jim Carrey was excellent as Count Olaf. I love it when he plays over the top characters (Liar Liar springs to mind). Beth and I do not have the same taste in movies at all but she did appear to not hate this movie.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – I have been looking forward to this movie forever. I loved the books and always felt that Douglas Adams and I would have been kindred spirits, especially after I found out he once climbed a mountain dressed as a rhinoceros. Because that is so something I would do (Okay, except for climbing a mountain (Or dressing like a rhinoceros (because I like hippos better))). Imagine my surprise and delight to find out that we shared a birthday.

Beth and I were invited to go see this movie by Char and Tom shortly after we came back from Portugal (I would put a link for Char since she owes me a blog but she has not yet seen fit to start one. The slacker). Needless to say, I loved this movie. No, I adored it. One of the best parts was realizing that Arthur Dent’s character was being played by Martin Freeman, who had also appeared in Love Actually (a movie Beth, Keem and I all adore). He was fantastic. I could not imagine a better Arthur. Alan Rickman was Marvin’s voice. I love Alan Rickman with a fervent passion which grows each time I see him play Snape so I was pleased to have him in the movie as well, even if it was only as a voice. He was also in Love Actually. A third Love Actually cast member also cast in Hitchhiker was Bill Nighy, playing Slartibartfast. Each person did wonderful and it was great seeing them reunited.

Beth and I kept turning and grinning at each every few minutes. Whenever a Love Actually cast member was revealed, when Sam Rockwell did something particularly funny (Or sexy, which is difficult for a man with two heads), when we saw the Christo Rei in the film after just seeing it (from a distance) in Portugal a few days ago and when there were sheep (hello, we aren’t called the Sheepsheadian for nothing).

I really enjoyed this movie. I would recommend that you go and see it. I have talked to people that never read the books and they had no problem following the plot. Seeing this movie made me want to read the books again. And then go back and see the movie again.

Oh, there was a moment when I did tear up (and was laughed at, I might add). At the very end, there is a black screen and then the words “For Douglas” show up. I also was sad realizing that Uzi would never see this movie and then I thought that maybe he and Douglas are watching it together in Heaven. From what Johnny has told me about Uzi, I think he and Douglas would have been fast friends.

Go see this movie. Go see it tonight. Buy the DVD when it comes out. Read the books. Rejoice in the craziness that is Douglas Adams. The answer is 42.

Sahara – This was great! I have never read the Clive Cussler books so I have no idea how this movie compares to the books but I don’t care. I thought Sahara was a lot of fun. It had a fairly decent plot, a good looking leading man (Matthew McConaughey as Dirk Pitt (which is the dumbest name for a hero ever)), a good looking evil dude (Lambert Wilson, you may recognize him as Merovingian (the French man) from The Matrix Reloaded and Matrix Revolutions) and a great comic character (Steve Zahn. I love Steve Zahn).

If you’re looking for a good action adventure, I would recommend Sahara.

Okay, hopefully this post will change my Google Adsense links to something else besides ducks. Don’t get me wrong, I love ducks, but a change would be nice!