Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Stepping Out With My Baby

I am not particularly good at exercising. If it was up to me, I would lie around on a couch all day and watch TV. Well, that’s not true. Actually, I’d much rather surf the Internet (and why is Blogger not working right now? Why am I forced to do this stupid post in word? How am I supposed to get my fix by catching up on everyone’s lives) and/or play Free Cell for hours on end. Or trounce bad guys in role-playing computer games.

In other words, I am lazy. Or, if you want to be politically correct, I am exercise challenged. Perhaps, instead of saying I’m obese, we could refer to me as big-boned (which, honestly, I am but bones do not need this much padding) or thinness challenged or my personal favorite, fluffy. It makes me sound like a bunny or a squirrel. Except they get more exercise than me.

Anyway, I mentioned a few posts ago, that I was trying to walk more. And, I am, to a point. I am not making an obvious effort to go out and walk but if I find myself waiting for a bus, I start packing. It’s a start.

But not enough of one. So, I made a rule for myself. If I have to go to the bathroom while I am at work, I have to walk up to the 4th floor from the 2nd floor. That is 2 flights of stairs, 10 steps to each landing. I decided to make things interesting and find out how many steps are in the Sears Tower and I’ll calculate how long it takes me to get to the top, figuratively, of course.

The Sears Tower has, according to several websites, approximately 2109 steps. The Empire State Building has 1860.

I started this on Thursday and climbed 110 steps. This almost killed me but I am of hearty stock and won’t let a little bit of asthma keep me from exercising (well, yes, I will normally but not this time). As of yesterday, I have climbed 350 steps. I also decided to start using my pedometer again and have, as of yesterday, walked 2239 steps (this is only counting at work. I don’t have a pedometer at home).

So, hey, only 1510 steps until I reach the top of the Empire State Building. I’ll go for the Sears Tower next. Well, technically, since I walked 40 today (I have to go to the bathroom much more when I drink water. Today I made the decision to have Mountain Dew for breakfast. I only allow myself that once or twice a week), I only have 1470. Why I can do that in a couple of days, right? Right?

Anyway, this song is stuck in my head every time I walk up the stairs so I’m hoping printing it here will get it out. Out! Get out of my head, song!

Stepping Out With My Baby - Irving Berlin

Here he comes lookin' for his baby
It's for sure, sure and not for maybe
Don't ask when will the lucky day be
Here he comes and let him tell you himself:

If I seem to scintillate
It's because I've got a date
A date with a package of
The good things that come with love
You don't have to ask me
I won't waste your time
But if you should ask me
Why I feel sublime
I'm

Steppin' out with my baby
Can't go wrong 'cause I'm in right
It's for sure, not for maybe
That I'm all dressed up tonight

Steppin' out with my honey
Can't be bad to feel so good
Never felt quite so sunny
And I keep on knockin' wood

There'll be smooth sailin' 'cause I'm trimmin' my sails
With a bright shine on my shoes and on my nails
[Alternate line: In my top hat and my white tie and my tails]

Steppin' out with my baby
Can't go wrong 'cause I'm in right
Ask me when will the day be
The big day may be tonight