Sunday, September 26, 2004

This sounds like rock and/or roll

As Beth's post indicates, a good time was had by all on Friday night. I knew of Melissa Etheridge, of course, but had never really heard anything outside of "Come to My Window." Meeting Beth has exposed me to a lot of different music, BNL, Matchbox 20, Cowboy Mouth, Melissa Etheridge, Bree Sharp, Paul Simon, even Garth Brooks.

I guess what I should say is that I knew of these artists (except for Cowboy Mouth and Bree Sharp) but I didn't get to know them. Beth is the type of person who will listen to one artist repeatedly. Whoever she is in the mood to listen to will actually be in the car stereo for weeks at a time. I love this. I get to discover music that's been around for awhile that I might not have heard if it wasn't for Beth.

Anyway, the concert was amazing. I, too, am a child of the 80's and I liked the hair bands (Poison, Guns N Roses, Bon Jovi) and the non-hair bands (Billy Idol, Debbie Gibson (Now there's a musical pairing that would scare many people)). I especially loved music that rocked. Everything rocked in the 80's. Things were rockin' (My manager boss used the word rockin' in a meeting once. The first thing out of my mouth was "You're from the 80's!"). Anyway, for me, music that rocked was something that had a good beat and you could dance to (except I don't really dance, I sort of, well, I have no idea how to explain it, shuffle my feet rapidly), something you could feel the beat come through the speakers and into your soul.

Beth talked about how you felt like you could reach out and feel the love in the room. I have to agree with that. I could not stop smiling. It was so great to be in a room where there was no hatred, no prejudice. I saw all male couples, I saw all female couples, I saw male and female couples. It made me so happy to be someplace where it didn't matter if you were gay or straight, no one cared. All we cared about was the music.

Well, I must admit that I also cared very deeply about the guitar player. Oh, my God, was he hot. And the energy he brought to the stage. Reminded me of Lenny Kravitz, except white (and blond).

Melissa Etheridge rocks and rolls. There are no other words for it. I caught myself banging my head (or nodding my head rapidly) at times. Our seats were incredible, you could see every expression on her face, her smile, her eye rolls. She has incredibly expressive eyes. And the voice of an angel. If you've never heard any of her music, run out now and buy "Lucky" right now. I will be doing a post about track #10 (Giant) shortly. Here is something Beth wrote about track #9 (Tuesday Morning).

Previous Comments:
At 5:30 PM, brooksba said...

Fantastic. I loved this post Dana. I felt the power of the concert all over again. It's a feeling I want to hold onto with both hands and never let slip away. I am so glad that you were willing to come to the concert with me. I have such a better experience when I can see people I care about discovering the joy of a musician. It's like watching what I originally felt find its way into the heart of another. The recognition of happiness cannot be held back and it spreads across the face. This concert reminded me that energy can be seen. It reminded me that power can be felt. It reminded me that all could be good. I am so happy you enjoyed the show.

At 9:21 AM, Firebear said...

Glad to hear it wyou had a great time. Its always good to have a friend who is welling to expose themselves to you.