Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Why I love Que Sera Sera (song and website)

This is one of the reasons why I love the website. I have strong feelings about the use of carpe diem as well. And this, well, it's just wrong.

As for the song, well, I've always liked Doris Day. No, that's not the real reason.

So Beth and I used to go to this bar in downtown Saint Paul on Tuesdays, called Wild Tymes, because Bryan was the host at karaoke. And there was a guy that would hang out there as well, who was named Andy. Andy was tall and blondish and had interesting features and floppy hair and a good swimmer's build. I thought he was, well, godlike is the first word that comes to mind.

He would sing "A Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash. He would also, completely sober and straight faced, sing "Que Sera Sera" by Doris Day. Standing up in front of a bunch of drunk people and singing a song about when you were a little girl takes guts. I think I fell a little bit in love with him right then and there.

One night, after he had finished singing and we, karaoke junkies that we are, were whooping and hooting and hollering and applauding, Bryan made a comment about "Yeah, you suck." Or something like that. Andy, who had just taken a swig of his beer, looked at Bryan and, from between his two front teeth, shot a stream of beer at Bryan. It was hot. Okay, you probably had to be there.

We stopped going to Wild Tymes because our call center moved away from Saint Paul so it was too difficult to get there (Beth works nights). We started going to The Chalet on Sundays. And, one night, about a month ago, Andy was there. I hadn't seen him in months and he was just as cute as I remembered. It was his last night in Minnesota, he was moving to New York the next morning.

At the end of the night, Bryan asked if anyone had a story to tell about Andy. I told the story of the beer, which they remembered. After sitting back down, I turned to Beth and said "Yeah, what I didn't mention was when I turned to you and said 'My God, I have never been so turned on in my life.'" She decided I had to tell Bryan that who decided I needed to mention it to Andy.

If my life was a movie, it would be at this moment where he grabbed me and gave me the most exciting kiss of my life and we would make mad, passionate love in the rain and we would leave each other a little bit sadder but wiser and happier for the knowing of each other. Oh, and I would look more like Marisa Tomei and less like Roseanne.

But my life is not a movie. My life isn't even a really good sitcom.