Saturday, August 28, 2004

I defend my no kissing for 7 years record

Okay, in response to Beth's comment to Public Displays of Affection:

No, I did not forget about the party. I do remember walking in and having Matt grab me and plant the kiss. So, you are right, technically it has been less than 7 years since I've been kissed.

However, Matt is family. Okay, he is not actually related to me but he is one of the coolest guys in the universe and he's my friend and he is, in my mind, family.

If I thought about it, I'm sure there's been lots of people who I have kissed. I've kissed Kari. I've kissed Eric. I've kissed Josh (but how could you resist him when he's happy?) and he has drooled on me and also smeared me with orange stuff. I've kissed Keem on the forehead when she was sick once (she called me a dork).

What I haven't done is Kissed or Been Kissed. To quote Josie Geller in Never Been Kissed - "That thing, that moment, when you kiss someone and everything around becomes hazy and the only thing in focus is you and this person and you realize that that person is the only person that you're supposed to kiss for the rest of your life, and for one moment you get this amazing gift and you want to laugh and you want to cry because you feel so lucky that you found it and so scared that that it will go away all at the same time. " Sneer all you want at romantic comedies but I do love them.

So, in 7 years, there has not been that big kiss, the kiss that holds all the possibility and joy and excitement of a new relationship, no matter how long or short it lasts. That's what I miss. Even though every single relationship I have ever been in was a stunning failure, I miss that first kiss. And the subsequent kissing that followed, unless, of course, he kissed like a Saint Bernard.