Monday, June 28, 2004

I need reading material!

Okay. I need help. I need something new to read. Any suggestions, blogging world?

Recently read:
The DaVinci Code: Well-researched, interesting, yes. Irritating, aggravating, yes. It is a page-turner, I will give you that. This would be because the chapters are only one to two pages long and each single one ends on a cliff hanger.

The Devil Wears Prada - I liked this about as much as I liked The Nanny Diaries. Yes, it was interesting, yes, it was funny. But why do I want to read about smart, orientated young women who completely lose themselves working for a complete jackass? I've had that job.

What I'm relying on now to keep me from being deprived of the written word.

Many, many random blogs.

Nora Roberts: Yes, she is a romance author. Yes, my life is devoid of romance. She happens to be the best one I've found who doesn't make it all about sex and she makes me laugh and cry. So there.

JK Rowling: The Harry Potter books for the 3rd time. I'm midway book 3.

Any suggestions?

Previous Comments:
At 10:35 AM, Serialangel said...
Rebecca by DeMaurier(sp?) I've heard its good-its about the evilness of the 'other woman' and includes love and madness and jealousy...

At 12:51 PM, Robert ~ Marlénè said...
Whenever I get a chance, I recommend Dorothy L. Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries. Start with the Harriet Vane stories: Strong Poison, Have His Carcase, Gaudy Night (my absolute all-time fave), and Busman's Honeymoon (there's also the posthumous novel, Thrones, Dominations which I also highly reccomend); then if you liked those, move on to the other greats like Murder Must Advertise, The Unplesantness at the Bellona Club, and Lord Peter Views the Body. These are the most beautifully-written novels I can think of off the top of my head, and a great inspiration to me.

At 8:47 AM, flea said...
Did somebody say "I need book suggestions"?

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Neffenberger
The Poisonwood Bible - by Barbara Kingsolver
Geek Love - by Katherine Dunn (one of the weirder stories you'll read, but totally compelling)She's Come Undone - by Wally Lamb
Naked - by David Sedaris
Little Children: A Novel - by Tom Perrotta

You'll want to read all these over and over, I promise!