Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Question of the Day - What is your pet peeve?

I like to think that I am a rational person. I try very hard not to lose my temper, I remain calm during stress (mainly because I'm probably reading and don't want to be bothered), I don't shout at random drivers and shake my fist impotently at them (no, I leave that for Keem), all in all, I think you will find that yes, DM is very rational and mature.

However, like most saints, there are a few things that can set me off on vehement vanting (a cross between vent and rant) and, proving once again that I only think of my adoring public, I have decided to share vant number 1. The one thing that makes me want to scream at the top of my lungs and stab people with forks (Please notice I said want to stab people with forks. I have not yet done so. (That's because Beth keeps taking them away.))

So I take an escalted call today from one of the Bank of DM bankers. The banker tried to get some information from the customer (TC) but TC refused to tell them anything about why he was calling or what his name was (When the banker asked him his name, TC replied "It's unimportant." So the banker told him "Mr. Unimportant, I'll transfer you to a supervisor now (Classic! So wrong from a quality and customer service level but yet, makes me feel good). One moment please.")

DM - "Thank you for holding, sir, my name is Dana. How may I help you?"

Customer - "I was driving through a city and I saw a Gay Pride event. (DM cringes, she knows what is coming next and, because she does really like her job, she cannot tell the customer what she is really thinking) Your bank had a delegation there. Why do you feel you need to be involved with that rubbish?"

DM - "Well, sir, The Bank of DM prides (yes, I said "prides" deliberately. I am evil, I know it) itself on its diversity..."

Customer (cutting her off) - "I just want you to know I will be closing my accounts because of your diversity."

DM - "You're certainly within your rights..."

Customer (cutting her off again) - "Yes, I am. I am within my rights to be a completely narrow-minded boob who thinks that anyone who is not like me is obviously either Satan or a Communist. Long live White Power." Then he hung up.

Okay, obviously he didn't say the last part. But that's it, folks, that's what drives me insane. I am so sick and tired of prejudice, loyal readers. See, my parents, as odd as they both are/were, raised me to believe that everyone should be treated equally, that you shouldn't judge people based on skin color or relgious beliefs or sexual preference. You should just accept people for who they are. My Dad went as far as to tell me, when I was researching my nationality for a class project, that I was part Polish, part Black and part jackass (the jackass was from my mother's side. Dad was weird, okay?) It wasn't until after he died that I found out he had told my half-brothers and sisters that they were part Italian (the reason they liked spaghetti so much) and American Indian). The whole point to this is he didn't want me to be a bigot. And you know what? It worked. I love everybody, until you (and that's you as a person, not as a gender or race or a minority group) piss me off.

Those of you who want to quote the bible at me, for your information, I am a born again Christian. And my answer to you will be, Jesus died on the cross for my sins and yours. He didn't look down from that cross and say "Okay, today I am only forgiving the sins of all of the white, upper class, heterosexual Americans. But you minority groups had better watch out."

Now, I love my country and I am glad I was born in America where I and everyone has the right of free speech and so I can accept that everyone has the right to their own opinion. But you know what, that right doesn't mean you get to try and force your opinion down my throat, okay? I personally don't feel that either the Boy Scouts or The Salvation Army should have the right to discriminate against homosexuals but I don't call them up and tell them what they can and can't do. I just don't support them. And I don't vote for Republicans.

As I said in a previous post, I have 5 male friends. They are all gay. I have 3 female friends. We are all straight. And you know what, we all love each and are good to each other and have a great time when we are together. And we're always looking out for new friends. So maybe someday we'll meet.

But I'm going to tell you, you make one comment about my friends and I'm bringing out the tazer. Unless Beth has hidden it.

Previous comments

At 12:08 AM, brooksba said...
Great post Dana! Just one thing, I only take the forks away when you want to kill other peole because they are loud and drunkish. I'll let you use a tazer on as many narrow-minded individuals you want who say something about our friends. Also, you made a point about this country having free speech and that is ultimately important. What bothers me about a person calling a business and complaining about the fact that business values diversity, it seems odd that they are not giving you the same free speech to state what you believe. It's not free unless the other people have a right to respond.