Monday, June 21, 2004

Random musings from a karaoke filled Sunday - Whoo!

Update - I went through this and alternated colors between different points of thought. So, blue and black don't really mean anything, it's just the start of a new thought.

Beth is performing a beautiful rendition of "Son of a Preacher Man."

Are all eyes upon her? No. Instead the focus is on the table closest to the stage.

Is it a gentleman and his lady love who are exchanging vows of eternal bliss this starry evening? No, it is not.

Apparently, the war raging that we are all forced to witness, is between a drunken man and his girlfriend's friend. Something to do with how he doesn't appreciate her sitting behind him when he is driving and making fun of him when he is pulled over by a cop. It was hard to make a lot of sense out of what he was saying. And I didn't care.

The point is, dammit, Beth and I are here at The Chalet to sing and listen and have a good time. It is difficult to do that when you are forced to listen to other patrons drunken conversations.


Beth is trying a new song tonight, "The Thunder Rolls." It's interesting hearing it sung by a woman - she puts a more plaintive twist to the words and the melody. Almost as if she is who the song is about.

Okay, dammit. I just told the drunk girls the amendment to the Rules of Karaoke. I just said "If you sing the song Picture, I will be forced to shoot you." I have given them fair warning. Beth will not let me shoot them because she didn't hear me say it. That and I don't actually have a gun. This is probably a good thing. I am going to the bathroom, I can't sit through this.

Beth let me know what I missed by going to the bathroom to save myself from Death Row, the interpretive dance to "Picture." Beth said it was a cross between New Kids on the Block meets Roger Rabbit. Beth has demonstrated it. I am very frightened.

I am walking up to sing "Change the World" and one of the drunk girls (the one with the boyfriend) asks "Can you sing a song about a broken heart?" I respond with "How about one about unrequieted love?" I didn't hear what she said after that, Beth did. Apparently she cocked her head to one side, eyes completely vacant and said "I don't know what that is?"

Dean's here! Way cool. Dean is awesome. His water is in a Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss Bier glass. It has a picture of a walleye on the back and says "This member of the perch family loves the cold, deep waters of large lakes and rivers." What the hell is this?

There is this guy who comes to karaoke named "Jumpin' John" - he has been on the news because he walks everywhere (? yeah, I know. I don't get it either). Anyway, whenever he sings, he really gets into acting everything out. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's scary...mainly it's fun. Anyway, tonight, he is performing "Pinball Wizard" which he really gets into...sings with his eyes shut, does the hand movements like he's playing pinball, even will hip check the non-existent machine. You have to be there. It's amazing.

He shut up the drunk table. He is the Karaoke King. The man is a god.

"Ice cubes down the back. What a lovely way of sayin' how much you love me." The new version of "Havin' My Baby"

Drunk table. Drunk girlfriend drops ice cubes down drunk boyfriend's shirt. He is not pleased.

After I sing "Tainted Love," drunk girl (I have no idea which one anymore, they're both blonde, thin and annoying) comments "I like you. Can you sing all night?" Which sounds like a compliment but with the amount of beer she's been drinking could be influencing her a little. Instead of beer goggles, she's wearing her beer headphones. Although I am glorious in many ways, that's not my best song. It's still fun to sing.

Heard from loud table in the back (not drunk table but getting close) - "That's exactly why they won't let me be Queen!" No clue.


Beth - "I think you should sing Ooh Poo Pah Doo (Yes. This is an actual song.)"
Dana - "I think you should stop smoking crack."

Dana (after asking Beth to repeat herself twice) - "I hear your lips moving but I can't see what you're saying."

And you wonder why I don't drink.