Friday, June 18, 2004

What is wrong with people?

Last night I was reading a blog by lbg and came across something I found very disturbing. Someone leaves a comment that reads "Your blog sucks!" What the hell is that? How is that mature?

I said in an earlier post that I'm a fairly mellow person and I was raised to follow the Golden Rule - "Do Unto Others As You Would Have Done Unto You (or whatever version you've might have heard)." So when I am reading a blog that I don't agree with, do I leave a nasty comment about how wrong the person is? No, I don't. I just go onto the next one. I really enjoy the fact that people all over this world are different. I can accept diversity. I also enjoy thought-provoking debates in which people can present their opinion to their opponent and ask that it be considered.

Here's the thing, people. Everything I put on this site is my opinion. Opinion, from dictionary.com (oh, I love that site) reads as follows:

o·pin·ion noun
1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
2. A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
3. A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
4. The prevailing view: public opinion.
5. Law. A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.

So, if you don't like my opinions, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to change to suit you. The same goes if I'm on someone's site and I don't like something they said. Maybe if people show some respect for one another, we wouldn't have all of these damn hate crimes.

That said, have a nice day.