Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Question of the day - Who is your favorite artist?

Beth and I had a discussion the other day about art. We were reminiscing about our visit to Las Vegas and viewing the Monet exhibit. It was the first time I got what "Impressionist" meant. If you've never seen an impressionist painting up close, you won't truly understand it either. When you stand two inches away from the canvas and actually see the intricate brush strokes and realize that you're not actually looking a painting of a tree or a woman or a cathedral, you are looking at a bunch of random paint splotches that convey the feeling. Then you'll get it.

Well, anyway, Beth mentioned that Matt's favorite artist was Salvador Dali. The only response I had to that was "Well, yeah, that makes sense. He writes like Dali paints."

At the time, I told Beth I didn't have a favorite artist, I just like different styles of art, but I prefer abstract (I'm not really surprised by that). I have realized, though, that I do have a favorite artist. I think it takes a lot of talent to bring across your meaning with only a few lines. I am fascinated by the work of Ty Wilson. Kari had this poster and I badgered her for years before I was able to convince her to let me have it. I believe I will have to buy this for myself when I get my next bonus check. I would love one of the serigraphs but, yeah, not going to happen at $350. Oh, well.

Keem wouldn't tell me who her favorite artist is. She is mean.